• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Should winning FA prizes be a competition?

Should winning FA prizes be a competition?

• Yes, competition is a good thing.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Yes, it's something new and I like this direction.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Yes. (other reason)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, I don't want other fellowships to effect my success rate.

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • No, I didn't come to Elvenar for competition.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • No. (other reason.)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I was told there'd be cake.

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters

Risen Malchiah

@SoggyShortsI understand the frustration in the discrepancies. Not sure anything can be done to make it a seemingly more level playing field though. The only way to do it were if the prizes were point based, but then someone would complain about that too. :rolleyes:
Perhaps, but there might be less complaining.

What I'd like to see are the prizes on the leaderboard be point-based so that FS who meet a certain threshold are guaranteed a reward for their efforts. If you want to also award something extra for being number 1, that's fine too.

But I'd also like to see prizes distributed throughout the map, perhaps something that can only be unlocked by going a particular route. You want just the prize at the end? Go for the easy path. You want the extra prize locked behind one of the orange waypoints? Something to consider.

I'd also like to see something to acknowledge an individual's contributions. If you do well in the tournament but your fellowship stinks, you still have your individual rewards to show for it. There's nothing like that in FA.

DeletedUser7421

I was amazed that so many people put in so much effort for such crap prizes. On my server the number one slot was literately bought. So not only has competition been introduced to the game but so has Pay To Win which most likely was the point.

If this game is a social experiment on how much time and money people are willing to pay to advance - kudos to the developers. Personally I wouldn't be able to sleep well at nite if my company used these tactics.

Shellizzie

Sounds like you did really well and all of your FS members worked really hard; and I would imagine "sacrificed" lots of time, resources and maybe even some buildings to rank #12 while only being #44 on your server. Question is what did you get for it beyond what we got, where we focused on the quickest and easiest way to get all three [3] stage awards? I would imagine you all got a 5hr instant"? Really no disrespect here, but would you do it again for another, say 8hr instant, I doubt being #44 on your server that you can get any of the top three [3] prizes?
Yes! We would do it again! We are planning for the next one already.
It was more about teamwork than the actual prizes. We thoroughly enjoy working together to reach a goal. Not sure that we would call it a sacrifice, we gained so much more. We enjoy the game and the challenge of achieving a goal is part of the game for us. We had a blast doing it.

Buttrflwr

What I'd like to see are the prizes on the leaderboard be point-based so that FS who meet a certain threshold are guaranteed a reward for their efforts. If you want to also award something extra for being number 1, that's fine too.

I'd also like to see something to acknowledge an individual's contributions. If you do well in the tournament but your fellowship stinks, you still have your individual rewards to show for it. There's nothing like that in FA.

I think this would increase personal motivation. With something like this, those who do their best will get rewarded for doing their best. :)

At the end of the day, some in an FS work harder than others, some listen, some do not. It is quite difficult to get everyone who is not online at the same time going in the same direction, especially when not everyone reads everything they are supposed to, or should. *shrug* We did well, we finished 10th, most of us had fun. There was a LOT of wasted badges, because of the afore mentioned reasons, and it could definitely stand some revamping on the developer side. I have not read all the comments here, nor do I intend to, it seemed like a lot of going back and forth on what I did read. But I agree, those of us who really, really, REALLY worked hard to keep everyone informed and going in the right direction, and re-worked our city to make those hard to get badges, should get some kind of individual "you done good" reward. :p Just my 20 cents worth. ;)

DeletedUser7791

I think this was an interesting twist. I am like most people in that I am in more than 1 FS (just 2 for me). The reactions to this tourney were very different than I expected. 1 FS is sort of lovey dovey "you can do it and lots of smiles and emojis" and we were pretty competitive on this but didn't prep or plan a lot. We did well but since half of us are pre-orcs, the prizes are just a waste of space. I am sure I will use that 5 hr instant somewhere, but the buildings were garbage for me. I know they were pretty good for the bigger cities and worked to get them a decent prize- and we smaller folks were happy we could repay some of the help we have received. We had fun but the consensus was that we will not waste our resources (other than time and attention) on these events knowing that we will not get the good prizes. We saved our goods and supplies for the next tourney and finished all 10 chests for the first time.

My more analytical group used the spreadsheet tools (Gems of Knowledge?) and had multiple people actively guiding our efforts. We became very interested on our tournament ranking and worked well together - much more so than a standard tourney or event. It was useful in making us realize just how much we enjoyed the team aspect of the game. Again,. we did well but determined that we will not waste resources on these events that we can not get the good prizes.We are talking more and realize that we can do better in tourney FS rewards with a little coordination of effort. So, we will be a better FS.

So, I mostly want cake. I like that the only real rewards go to the FS and not the individuals- which is kind of odd for me.\

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
We had fun but the consensus was that we will not waste our resources (other than time and attention) on these events knowing that we will not get the good prizes.
Again,. we did well but determined that we will not waste resources on these events that we can not get the good prizes.
So you are in one FS that is active enough to reach 10 tournament chests, and another that has strong leadership and used spreadsheets to help organize, yet the conclusion in both FS was that since you can't win the good prizes, the extra effort isn't worth it.
Sounds like there is a flaw in the current FA system to me.
I'm betting both of your FS would have a higher level of interest in the next FA if the best prizes were based on your score rather than having to be in the top 3.

DeletedUser4195

Actually it does. You might not have extra free space but the whole point of expansions is that you have extra space. Regardless of what is in that space, some of it was going to make the event easier. Whether it's because you are producing an extra 100k goods a day, or that many extra tools, or have that much more coin coming in from residences. It doesn't matter what you have done with the 23 extra expansions, it has reduced pressure on other things and made the event easier.

It did not!! You are completely 100% incorrect!! As far as producing extra goods...that made no difference because we worked as a team and we all contributed equally, sharing the costs among us all. That is the beauty of the "Pay Amount" option. As I stated in a previous post, "200k goods divided by 25 members equals 8,000 goods each. 500k goods divided by 25 members equals 20k goods each". We worked together as a team and shared the costs EQUALLY among all of our members.

The amount of supplies coming from my magic workshops or coins coming from my magic residences had absolutely no bearing on the event. It was a matter of time...NOT THE AMOUNT. Making 200 beverages takes me the same amount of time as it does anyone else. Making a 3 hour production takes me the same 3 hours as it does anyone else. Your statement is not only FALSE, it is also moronic.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It did not!! You are completely 100% incorrect!! As far as producing extra goods...that made no difference because we worked as a team and we all contributed equally, sharing the costs among us all. That is the beauty of the "Pay Amount" option. As I stated in a previous post, "200k goods divided by 25 members equals 8,000 goods each. 500k goods divided by 25 members equals 20k goods each". We worked together as a team and shared the costs EQUALLY among all of our members.

The amount of supplies coming from my magic workshops or coins coming from my magic residences had absolutely no bearing on the event. It was a matter of time...NOT THE AMOUNT. Making 200 beverages takes me the same amount of time as it does anyone else. Making a 3 hour production takes me the same 3 hours as it does anyone else. Your statement is not only FALSE, it is also moronic.
You are expressing a naive viewpoint. To imagine that having extra capacity in your city is not a direct contributor in your ability to do the event is to ignore economics. It doesn't matter how many people contribute, if one person has extra capacity, it makes the event simpler. That's as basic as it gets. In a game where finite land controls what you are able to do, having more land than someone else is always an assist in every aspect of your activities.

To think that making 200 beverages takes someone with 12 workshops the same amount of time as someone with six workshops is simply mindboggling.

DeletedUser4195

Would you please, as one human being to another, stop using insults to my intelligence to try to alter the debate. I'm not a moron, and neither are you. It's really unpleasant behavior.

I did not call you a moron. I said your statement was moronic. Read the post.

SoggyShorts

@Breann
There are 2 FS that have the
  • exact same activity level, and the
  • exact same leadership, and the
  • exact same organization.
  • Both fellowships dedicate 10% of their city space to extra level 1 buildings.
Q: Which fellowship does better?
A: The one with more expansions.

DeletedUser4195

To think that making 200 beverages takes someone with 12 workshops the same amount of time as someone with six workshops is simply mindboggling.
This is not what you were talking about, you were suggesting that someone with magic buildings was able to do things faster. Now you are saying it's the number of buildings. You are backpedaling now. Saying it was the number of buildings. How about the person, like soggyshorts, who had no premium buildings, but who had 20+ level 1 buildings? I would say they quite clearly had the advantage over me who has premium expansions and premium buildings, but didn't have the free space to do the same.

DeletedUser4195

@Breann
There are 2 FS that have the
  • exact same activity level, and the
  • exact same leadership, and the
  • exact same organization.
  • Both fellowships dedicate 10% of their city space to extra level 1 buildings.
Q: Which fellowship does better?
A: The one with more expansions.

Correct. Assuming all can dedicate 10% of their space. That wasn't the argument though and you are splitting hairs to make your point. If you remember I told you that although I have premium expansions I had no free space to build even one level 1 workshop or manufactory, whereas you had dozens. I had 10 workshops making badges, that was all. When you assume something...

DeletedUser4195

I don't feel like arguing because it is pointless with some of you. As Rudyard Kipling said, "never the twain shall meet", but I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Fellowship Adventure and if INNO makes any changes, I'm sure I'll enjoy that as well. I don't mind change.

SoggyShorts

I did not call you a moron. I said your statement was moronic. Read the post.
Please please please the next time your boss/mom/stranger in the street says something you disagree with, tell them that that "Their statement is moronic" Then let us know if you were able to convince them it wasn't a personal insult before they fired you/gave you a beat down

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
This is not what you were talking about, you were suggesting that someone with magic buildings was able to do things faster. Now you are saying it's the number of buildings. You are backpedaling now. Saying it was the number of buildings. How about the person, like soggyshorts, who had no premium buildings, but who had 20+ level 1 buildings? I would say they quite clearly had the advantage over me who has premium expansions and premium buildings, but didn't have the free space to do the same.
You've confused me with someone else. I never said anything about magic workshops at any point in the past. I talked about having extra expansions.

That said, even if I had talked about you having magical workshops, which I didn't, the fact that you can run 9 hour batches and get more supplies than someone running 3 hour batches with non-magical workshops does, indeed, mean that you are ahead of the game in doing Fellowship Adventures, because you can afford to run your magic workshops on longer batches without facing the same loss of productivity.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I don't feel like arguing because it is pointless with some of you. As Rudyard Kipling said, "never the twain shall meet", but I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Fellowship Adventure and if INNO makes any changes, I'm sure I'll enjoy that as well. I don't mind change.
If I may offer an observation, that's probably because you are focusing on this as an emotional exchange instead of a debate. I, too, often get tired of debates (mostly when it seems like the two sides are entrenched and unlikely to get anything productive out of further debate), but by avoiding turning the debate into a clash of personalities, they become far less draining. Once we allow our argument become about the other person and their capabilities instead of the points they are making, it's much harder to sustain our thread of logic.

DeletedUser4195

Please please please the next time your boss/mom/stranger in the street says something you disagree with, tell them that that "Their statement is moronic" Then let us know if you were able to convince them it wasn't a personal insult before they fired you/gave you a beat down

Oh for christ's sake...understand the english language before you start trying to make this into something that it isn't. Now we'll have 50 posts defining what is and what isn't moronic and is the use of the word offensive or isn't it and it will go on ad nauseam...as you and your little band of cohorts are known to do.