• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Warning regarding new battle system

DeletedUser3880

So...not a single mod/company reply? At least pretend you were doing a Kobayashi Maru or something to test our resolve.

I'd be interested in hearing some sort of rationale for the system design. It seems like it should be possible to fight since it is a component of the core game and is needed to advance the city. Yes, I know Kaylee can win, but that seems to be quite the exception. Personally I would design towards the 99%, not the 1%..maybe that's just me.

Q

DeletedUser2753

I have added the word protesting to My fellowship name and the follow sentence in the description. If you agree please do the same:
We are protesting the way InnoGames is developing this game and promoting a boycott of all Diamond Purchases by users until innoGames listens and responds positively to users concerns. Join Us !

DeletedUser1987

Qjakal, the devs' opinion seems to be that if you progress farther ahead with your city than they think you should, you should be forced to fork over diamonds to continue to progress. They don't seem to understand that this insults even paying players. They seem to think that people will simply spend more money on Elvenar, rather than take their money elsewhere.

For me, their belief is completely false. My main game is World of Warcraft. I was previously spending some money on diamonds for province expansions, but the devs have proved themselves to be so determined to make my Elvenar gameplay unenjoyable that I think I'll spend that money on WoW tokens and make gold to buy pointless cosmetic stuff because spending money on pointless cosmetic stuff is more appealing than paying to progress in a game that's pretty obviously trying to force me to hand over my wallet to fix it.

Mods, could you perhaps pass the message on to the devs that paying to win in an otherwise enjoyable game is fun, but if the f2p experience isn't fun, payers have little incentive to pay to improve it, and might as well just go find another game which is more fun to play?

DeletedUser3880

I play Goodgame Empire mostly, but I wanted a game I could "share" with my elder mom and my 15 year daughter who loves city building games. Seemed like a good fit at the time. Not sure what all this "going too far" actually entails, but I'm in Chapter 3 now with about 45 provinces done. I would certainly design the thing so you have something you can "do"when you log in..maybe have an entirely separate sort of Battle Arena function that you can access that allows you to win goods or something game related but not core completion such as knowledge points.

The object IS to make people want to log in and play...I think..

Q

DeletedUser4276

Mods, could you perhaps pass the message on to the devs that paying to win in an otherwise enjoyable game is fun, but if the f2p experience isn't fun, payers have little incentive to pay to improve it, and might as well just go find another game which is more fun to play?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

DeletedUser

The object IS to make people want to log in and play...I think..

Q
Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder, too! I used the links on the first page & have been reading through the feedback that was given on Beta. Wow, just wow! They say everything that needs to be said there, and still we've got this result. I just can't wrap my head around why anyone thought this was a good move. But then, I can't wrap my head around US politics right now either, so maybe there's just something in the water...

On the Elvenar FB page, I see a response from Elvenar that states "We are hearing the complains, Lisa. We just can't type fast enough to answer to everybody. These changes were made to fix the game. It was broken before, and many players could progress too far. This was not good, and we had to fix it somehow. We know it's hard for a lot of players, but please, trust us, it will be better on the long run. Also, there will be more updates to the battle system, which will make it more obvious why we took this decision."

So... they go back to "... many players could progress too far", like we didn't play the game the way it was set up & found some cheat codes or something. Like we didn't have quests & repeating rewards for gaining relics or fighting provinces.

I am so tired of hearing Elvenar representatives say things about how players have progressed too far. I'm not what anyone would consider a "gamer", I have no experience knowing what it takes to run or design a game, yet it seems common sense to me to understand that if you create a game where you want players to advance at a specific rate, you don't encourage them to go fast by REWARDING them for doing so. I started playing this game when the main thing to do was to complete provinces, so that's what I did. I invest time & money in this game, yet I am consistently 'punished' by the changes the Devs make because I have been a good customer? I mean, how dare I play so regularly and send my scout out all the time? How dare I join an active & well-ranked FS which only encouraged me to play more? How dare I have some good-natured competition with other FS members who were close in points, which led me to *gasp* spend money on this game?!

In a day, 3 members of my FS have quit, including the Archmage, and they were ALL long-term players. They see the writing on the wall & I can't really blame them. This was not just one change - this was the straw that broke the camels back.

This game has such bright spots at times - the graphics are beautiful, quests & competitions can be fun, the social aspect of the game is certainly a draw - but the feedback has been so wasted & I also feel like there isn't consistency in players here being treated respectfully in this forum. I don't think there are any "advanced players" (my definition is Top 500 active players) who begrudge the company from earning money. We get that it's kind of the point for any company! The issue is that the changes that are being made are ones that ACTIVE PLAYERS keep saying are forcing people to quit, stopping people from enjoying the aspects of the game that were fun, and also feel like a slap in the face to loyal players who have been here, playing & paying & recommending the game to others. I don't think any of us expect to be listened to all the time - I don't think we as a whole expect the Devs to pander to our every whim or ask 'how high' when we say jump. But I do think that when customers take the time to give detailed & helpful feedback, we deserve to receive considerate & respectful responses, and yes, also sometimes explanations that make sense & don't blame us players for "advancing too far".

DeletedUser

That is something I cannot do. When I had notice that the battle update was coming, I finished all but a couple of provinces in each world. That way I could use the still unlocked provinces to learn the battle system. I have since fought my way through all of those provinces under the new battle system, yes I suffered much greater losses than I did in the past, but I still won. No, I will not scout anymore to see if I will keep winning, I know because of how many I have complete, my chances of winning any future battles is greatly decreased until I unlock my next advance scout. Then I'll have 30 more provinces that I can unlock and fight through. Until then, I will keep using tournaments as a super easy way to get cheap KP so I can keep advancing :)

Once again...you are happy to paint by numbers.The majority of people are not.You are happy playing like a snail...no one else is.Quit telling people that the new battle system is good....if you like waiting months to fight while you wait for the game to catch up.Sorry,but people actually play to,you know...PLAY.Not sit and click on shops once or twice a day.

DeletedUser1108

202 squad size. 101 provinces. Or maybe its 212 squad, somewhere in the low 200's. Thr largest squads I encountered were in the 315 range, still beatable, but at a loss of over 4 squads an encounter.
I just went and looked at my open province - my squad size 906, theirs 1732 AND they outnumber me 2 or 3 to 1!

DeletedUser2963

Yes, I know Kaylee can win, but that seems to be quite the exception.
Q
Not an exception, but the people who are so unhappy about this are not listening. Everyone can easily win as long as they are not fighting beyond the ring they should be in. The further you expand beyond that "line" the more expensive it gets....and yes it does hit impossible. My expansion is not even, I have stretched in certain directions to reach trade partners, and have hit the impossible wall. I am in ch5 and I hit orcs. There are over 500 swamp monsters per squad and over 3500 light melee and light ranged per squad in that province, and did I mention orcs to negotiate. Ha, ha, ha...no way in heck am I going over that wall.
Point is, I am far far far beyond the point where I "should be". When I hit the provinces in the ring where I should be, I kick tail. One ring beyond and I kick tail, but loose allot of troops....Two rings beyond and I can't always win, I have to negotiate allot. If I push on with negotiating, eventually the orcs stop me dead in my tracks. That was rather the point.
This game has such bright spots at times - the graphics are beautiful, quests & competitions can be fun, the social aspect of the game is certainly a draw.
Lets not forget another major draw, careful city planning is a major feature of this game. You have to plan ahead or you end up stuck. People who hate that generally go play a game that has a nice warehouse where they can store buildings while they re-arrange their cities. You can't do that here, by design. Its one of the things that sets this game very much apart from other city building games. I think its fun and challenging. Can you buy your way out of it, yeah sure, and some people do. But you can no longer just roll over provinces endlessly. Adding orcs put the brakes on everyone below the orc chapter. This feature just distributes the slow down across the board. Honestly though, I am in ch5 and I can still negotiate my way all the way up to orcs, its just way more resource expensive now.

DeletedUser3880

I'm in Chapter 3 with 45 provinces done...yeeeeeah...I'm really stretched out..lol.

Betting there's a heckuva lot more like me..with triple our squad numbers against us as well as strength deficiencies. This isn't my first game by about 50 years. Granted there's no hexagonal dice but most of the governing principles are the same.

Q

DeletedUser2963

Chapter 3, Squad size upgrade 7 used to be the final upgrade available in that chapter, now it is the first available. And you are on squad size upgrade ?

DeletedUser3880

Yup..working on it in both human and elf world now. It was moved back (from my POV) and is available now. That will help, as will the upcoming Golem and Priest but those enemy squad sizes are still prohibitive.

Q

Thistleknot

I keep seeing "the players have gone too far." Has "gone too far" been defined? I have space for 19 more expansions. I will get 2 from research. The other 17 I have to earn by conquering about 200 more provinces, since I am not paying for expansions. I haven't filled up my allotted space yet, so I would not think that I had gone too far. But perhaps I have. :confused:

DeletedUser

I agree, Thistleknot. I have 20 more expansions yet to be opened, and as I am in Fairies, it looks like I can earn 6 of them via the Tree. So that's 14 expansions that I can only get if I purchase or earn them via provinces completed. I have paid for expansions via diamonds in the past & probably would consider doing so again (if I keep playing), but I do fail to see why this deems me as having "gone too far".

It's baloney to anyone who suggests that I have played in some kind of unbalanced way so far - I fight AND I have negotiated - until now. Of course I couldn't negotiate in Dwarves because I hit the Orc trade costs & couldn't pay them. THEN I started playing in an "unbalanced" way because I could no longer negotiate at all. I trade regularly & have belonged to 2 FS since I started playing. When you play regularly, it IS a balance to scout, fight provinces, play tourneys, build & upgrade and try to reach neighbors. There is no aspect of the game that I ignored in favor of another.

Frankly it feels to me like many of us got too good at the game after playing long enough to be experienced, so now we keep getting our wrists slapped for knowing how to win.

DeletedUser2963

At the start of each chapter there is a nifty little chest. you have to open up a certain number of provinces to open the chest and move to the next chapter. Anything above that is "extra". I had the chest for chapter 5 unlocked in chapter 3. That would be "too far". I am in chapter 5 and in places I have hit orcs (ch8)..."too far" way too far! Will I keep pushing, hell yes! I expect I will be parked at the orcs from chapter 6 till I finally hit chapter 8. I will have to negotiate that far out, but that wont stop me, just slow me some. Will it stop you?

And as for available expansions, when I first started playing you could only buy a small number of expansions per castle upgrade. A new player could not buy all the expansions on day one. They changed that a few upgrades back. Now you can, should you choose to spend several grand, purchase every single expansion on day one. Just because you can buy them all doesn't mean you need them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4471

202 squad size. 101 provinces. Or maybe its 212 squad, somewhere in the low 200's. Thr largest squads I encountered were in the 315 range, still beatable, but at a loss of over 4 squads an encounter.

Doesn't sound like we're playing the same game. I'm 2 months in, have 74 provinces, squad size is 112, and I'm facing squad sizes as large as 722 (which I'm not foolish enough to attempt). About the only positive thing I can say I've seen is that the Steinlings aren't Gods incarnate any more (judging by the stats).

DeletedUser4510

I've been playing in Felyndral for almost 10 months now I think, maybe more. I've been toying around with the idea of buying some diamonds as a way to pay for my play. In a freeware kinda way. I probably still should as it's keeping me entertained, for the most part. I'll never be spending more then $40 or $50 dollars in this game though. I don't believe I should expect to play for free, but I also don't believe they should expect to pull in more then $40 or $50 per player. If that's not enough for their business model, they may have a flawed business model. They'll probably only get paid by a player that sticks around because they like it. More changes like this that reduce the freedom and sense of fun in the game will not help them win players. Anyhow, my 2 cents. As long as it remains mostly fun I'll remain a player.

DeletedUser1766

Well I tested this system in both normal battles and tournaments. I lost everything except one tournament battle and that was close. In a normal province I was facing squads of 2500 troops and my squad size was supposed to be 950. That in itself is a huge difference but the troops did not stand a chance. The treants died before reaching their new targets of heavy ranged who shot at them from the back of the battlefield. Canoneers have a long reach, treants do not. It is long walk for treants who are the slowest troops on the field and when they get there they cannot kill their targets who used to be an easy kill once you were able to target them. Treants were slow but hard hitters now they cannot hurt anyone. My gollums used to be my best troops and now they cannot even kill archers who used to be a one shot wonder. So sad. Fighting was fun and now it is a non event. I play on one world and am nearly at the end of the orc chapter which takes forever to finish techs. I have researched them but cannot produce enough loot or shrooms of wisdom to finish the tech. I often have about 5 waiting for the final products.

I just do not understand how this new battle system is supposed to work. I have watched the video, looked at the charts in it and it just does not work on my map. Perhaps I have scouted well outside the range of fighting but before the change I was still fighting many battles and winning. Now I have resigned myself to negotiation only. sigh.

I've been playing in Felyndral for almost 10 months now I think, maybe more. I've been toying around with the idea of buying some diamonds as a way to pay for my play. In a freeware kinda way. I probably still should as it's keeping me entertained, for the most part. I'll never be spending more then $40 or $50 dollars in this game though. I don't believe I should expect to play for free, but I also don't believe they should expect to pull in more then $40 or $50 per player. If that's not enough for their business model, they may have a flawed business model. They'll probably only get paid by a player that sticks around because they like it. More changes like this that reduce the freedom and sense of fun in the game will not help them win players. Anyhow, my 2 cents. As long as it remains mostly fun I'll remain a player.

Well I have limited resources for spending on games and I have already spent more on this one than I should have. I used to understand buying a game and playing it till it finished but these new games that go on forever but are sort of free are strange. When you add in the exchange rate for me as an Australian the diamonds get very expensive. I do not mind spending some money on a game I like but not hundreds as some people do.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I am in the dwarves chapter i have my barrack at 15 ,4 armorys at 15 and 1 armory at 8 .
My 11 workshop can keep up .
You pass all your time starting your barrack and the battle destroy them in flash.

If you know of fun free game give me pm
Thank you

DeletedUser4531

I've only been playing this game for about 3 months, and though it's been tough enough to try to win provinces, it is now impossible for me since my troops are weaker. Instead, I have to negotiate and use all of my coins and supplies. The manufacturing buildings don't create enough supplies to support this. Basically, the game is no longer fun if I have to log in every hour of the day to try to produce them, only to have them spent within a 10 minute period. Not sure if this is ever going to be corrected. If there is a time-frame in which I just need to be patient, I would appreciate knowing; otherwise, I'm out.