• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Winning! (or not) Battle Insights and Observations share yours

DeletedUser43

Allot of new players are having issues and I think it would be good if we can pin down where and why.

And this game doesn't teach people how to fight. I was able to win a battle last night on ring 12 after the woodelves came out (so after I had gotten that last advanced scouts), but all the ones I had researched before were still impossible. It should be that unlocking the tech changes all the provinces you have already done. BUT and this is a really big but, I have tons of fighting experience on here. Hundreds and hundreds of hours. A new person would have had zero chance. Just because a few of us here can eke out a win doesn't mean the battles aren't set at too great a difficulty level. Plus, for that fight, I had to take around 30 turns. Running and dodging and hiding and ducking. I'd go several turns without firing a single shot.

The newbies don't have a tutorial the game gives them. Sure, it is nice and all that some of us have written some guides, but the game itself needs to teach people. Walk them through a few battles. Show them exactly how it is done. Otherwise, they will be like lambs to the slaughter. Remember the number one complaint before the new system was that battles were too hard.

DeletedUser3297

Gem province, ring 7. I am at 113/100 provinces. Figured only the Sorceress was needed, the archer did the most damage to me, but still went down with 4 hits. All the cannoneers fell after being hit twice :)

WXcJl4E.png
lz9IpHU.png

I am avoiding doing the training grounds until it becomes mandatory, the dogs are not really needed for me. I don't have the space for the building anyway

DeletedUser2963

Sorry all tips are in paragraphs, no nice graphics for early towns.

The dogs the dogs, I hates them, I want to poke their little eyeses out!

I must be honest, I never actually read the words below your pretty graphics. I am doing exactly what your guide suggests, archers, archers, some archers, and hey throw in some lm to slow down those dogs or other lm units!

DeletedUser43

Scouting ahead and not researching are a big issue from what I am seeing and hearing. There needs to be in-game education on this.

I guess. But do you think it is wise to tell people not to do much building in a city builder game? Scouting is what gives you the space to build your cities in this city building game. I agree that what you say if you want people to be able to win fights, but looking at the big picture, what do you think attracts most people to this game? City building or fighting? I wouldn't want to drive away potential players by hampering the one thing they are here for even if it will help them win fights. idk. What do you think? I guess maybe a warning and let people decide for themselves? idk. I am thinking out loud. I'd like to know the thoughts of others.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
But do you think it is wise to tell people not to do much building in a city builder game?

I still think there is plenty of building to do (f2p) but that is a slightly different issue to have a decent tutorial for the more complex aspects of the game. I do think a new person needs a certain amount of rapid growth at the beginning and have posted such on beta, which Marindor mentioned generally they are looking into early towns, we wait and watch.

DeletedUser594

Humans: Priest is king today. Archer pegs the mage and acts as meat drawing attacks while priest knocks out canon/stein paladins bring up the rear and eliminate cerbs. Axe are a fun substitute for the paladin. Greater range and solid against every enemy troop- sleeper unit of this province.

Sorcerres lost her throwing arm which is too bad but she was Queen for a long long reign. I do recommend looking for long corners where she can fire across but the path to hit her back is semi blocked
55d003f4c6b8c0249d961e1310486099.png
Archers got yoga wear and the crossbowmen grew kinda cool- kinda hipster douchy handlebar mustaches but I will give them the benefit of the doubt so long as no ironic trucker hats or single gear crossbows show up.
Sword dancers also take a bite out of stein and dogs-
and the best part of using Axe/Sword is that they get completely ignored in favor or archers/priests

DeletedUser2963

Sword dancers also take a bite out of stein and dogs-
and the best part of using Axe/Sword is that they get completely ignored in favor or archers/priests

Running with my sword dancers and dogs today. Not the best mix, but as an elf I have been dying to get my hands on some dogs. Using my poor sword dancers as cannon fodder, while I send my dogs racing across the field to slaughter everything in their path (the dogs have a lower initiative atm and get ignored)

DeletedUser2963

Eventually;).
They havent been upgraded, so its taking them an average of 2 hits to kill anything, in round 1. When I hit Round three, I will probably have to change my mix a bit, or they will start dying. So far I havent lost even one. Losing sword dancers, but since the last update they are pretty useless, so no crying over that.

edit: the mix I am using wouldn't work for anyone with upgraded dogs. My dogs currently have a lower initiative than my sword dancers....so all the enemy troops go right for my sword dancers.

DeletedUser4778

2 hits to kill something is good! Only my archers achieved that and only against mages.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I am finding paladins and treants working nice in this tournament. Paladins I feel have the edge, seem to handle mages better, most likely as they can close on them more easily. Tried priests with my paladin but they become a priority target and thus die a bit quicker, but are needed on occasion.

DeletedUser2963

I just really wanted my own dogs!!! After getting chewed up so bad by them, I couldn't wait to try them out.

The current tournament mix is sorceress, dogs and a mix of HR....In round one, AI moves the sorceresses into savaging range for my dogs, and I pull my sword dancer forward into savaging range of their dogs, in round two I finish of the sorceresses with my sword dancers, and my dogs hit the HR, Round three I finish off the hr and my sword dancers finish off the dogs. Depending on the mix, sometimes a round four is needed for mop up. But my dogs are being completely ignored and they are not even getting hit with a counter attack.

DeletedUser594

I think the dogs are great. I did a couple of rounds with them to see how they did. Held up nicely. I never understand when I see elven players complain about the dogs and blow them off. They're a great troop to have...who knows...they always seem to think humans have it easier too. The paladin are crushing dogs and everything else but they take 3 moves to get to the opponents end where the canon lay + you have to factor in terrain but they are some crazy steamrollers in this sterritory

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Yeah I have been using paladin and axe for this tournament (crystal), ill throw some dogs in once and a while if there are a lot of sorceress, but dogs are expensive with the time they take to make (at the moment). Hope the new upgrades for the training grounds help with the time, crazy to take 5 hours + for one squad while every other squad takes about 1 hour.

DeletedUser3696

I am finding paladins and treants working nice in this tournament. Paladins I feel have the edge, seem to handle mages better, most likely as they can close on them more easily. Tried priests with my paladin but they become a priority target and thus die a bit quicker, but are needed on occasion.
It used to be so nice with the old priests, when they would sit and wait until the end of round 1 before they had their turn. Thus fully setting you up in round #2 for max damage.
Like the sorceress they aren't as good as pre-update.

DeletedUser2753

Fighting this round in the tournaments appears much easier now, actually won quite a few on auto again. Did a few on manual just to see how things move, but the new interface for picking with the Info button working is a great improvement. Maybe they re-balanced the opposition. I don't have enough experience fighting in the new system to know. Also i don't look closely at my losses each fight, just quickly add up the cost of diamonds and judge that way, under 100 diamonds is fine, though I NEVER buy fighters with diamonds.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Maybe they re-balanced the opposition.

They made some minor tweaks to troops, the one that would help this tournament is less range on mages so they can't outpace treants now. Sadly this has a reverse effect on our mages though. For v1.18 they have announced improvements for the tournament so you will notice that, particularly for later rounds.

Last edited:

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
That would be great, I cant seem to get past the 4 level without heavy losses that are not worth the rewards.