• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Evolution of the Phoenix feedback

The Unbeliever

This event has always been my favourite event of the year, and this year is no different!
After making my way through 64 quests, my feelings thus far;
Pros:
- Great quest line, especially with the either/or options such as the "scout a province OR recruit X units" & "solve 5 encounters OR X tournament encounters". Keep these up!
Likewise, the removal of the "gain X marble + steel + plank" productions is most welcome.

- On a similar note, AMAZING to see the nerf-batting of the insanely annoying "gain 24-36+ relics" quests, alongside the sheer stupidity of "gain X relics OR solve X encounters".

- Love seeing the return of the past two years worth of unique Phoenix themed buildings.
It's also a great thing for newer players who are going through this event for the first time, to pick up some of those unique buildings for themselves.
Crossing my fingers that the Rise of Phoenix will show up at some point. ;)

- I enjoy the prize system overall, but then, being an FoE player, I'm also very used to this type of format as well.

- The Evolving buildings look absolutely fantastic! (love me my little chocobos!)

Cons:
- The Evolving buildings need a serious rebalancing honestly... atm, the Fire Phoenix is downright OP, while the Storm Phoenix is wondering why his bonus even exists it's so bad!
At least boost the Storm + Goldiebird to 12hrs to give it some actual practical use... would also make these buildings compete better vs. the Set Buildings, of which the past two have been really, really super powerful!

- The "solve 5 encounter OR 25 tournament encounters" needs a bit of a rethink IMHO...
At the very least, dumb it down to 1:4 ratio, so 5 map encounters vs. 20 tournament encounters is a bit more sane.

- The chest prizes are pretty poopy overall, even by Elvenar's low standards.
At least add in some better instants like PP's and also, perhaps a RR or three.

- On a similar note, very disheartening to see the almost complete lack of the essences from the chests. :(

- I feel that it should have been doable to get 1 of the 3 Phoenix buildings fully leveled to Lv.10, *IF* a player chose the options to only ever chose the most feather-efficient chests!
ie: Player 'A' basically says, 'oh well I'll skip on getting lots of daily prizes to get as many feathers as possible', meanwhile, Player 'B' decides 'I want lots of daily prizes - who cares about feathers!'
By the end of the event, Player 'A' should ideally have at worst a Lv9 phoenix building, but maybe they only got 5-7 or so daily prizes over the whole run of the event... Player 'B' on the other hand should ideally have only a Lv.5-6 phoenix building, but they probably landed at least double the daily prizes that Player 'A' got.
But in reality, there's not much difference between choosing daily prize vs. efficient feather gathering, which sucks... Choice should be a thing, and being tactical with going for pure feather efficiency should while sacrificing daily special odds should yield a much more appreciable reward.

Overall though, I'm enjoying this event.

Deleted User - 3932582

- The chest prizes are pretty poopy overall, even by Elvenar's low standards.
Amen to that.

On making this event easier: it is definitely easier than many previous ones, but I am not sure that is necessarily a good thing overall. It's not that previous versions were particularly hard, but now it is even more likely that one can finish the whole 4 week event (minus daily quests) in 2-3 days. There is not much challenge left, and as much as I like prizes, I think we should work a bit harder to get them.

Otherwise, Inno can just hand over everyone 5000 essence or so, and you pick and choose a-la-carte what you want to get. We're already pretty close to that setup.

Ditto for maxing out Phoenixes. Given how powerful they can be, it should be hard (not easy) to max them out. Probably over the course of several events. Otherwise, there is not much to look forward to, if we get instant gratification on everything.

Just my 0.02$.

The Unbeliever

:eek:
Amen to that.

On making this event easier: it is definitely easier than many previous ones, but I am not sure that is necessarily a good thing overall. It's not that previous versions were particularly hard, but now it is even more likely that one can finish the whole 4 week event (minus daily quests) in 2-3 days. There is not much challenge left, and as much as I like prizes, I think we should work a bit harder to get them.

Otherwise, Inno can just hand over everyone 5000 essence or so, and you pick and choose a-la-carte what you want to get. We're already pretty close to that setup.
We're only able to do this if;
1. A player knows/can get the quest line at least 2-3 days ahead of time.
AND
2. Has the space in their city to set-up a 'turd town' of Lv.1's to blaze through everything in a timely manner.

There's far more players who go into the events essentially 'blind' and take most/all of the event just to finish the sequential quest line. In fact, there's plenty of players who for various reasons, don't ever manage to finish the main quest line at all!

The forum community is overall pretty tiny vs. the overall player base itself, and even within the various fellowships across the game, plenty of them don't know/won't have anyone around to post up the quest line.
So just because a fraction of us are typically done the 85-100+ quests within 1-5 days is no reason to alter anything. ;)

Ditto for maxing out Phoenixes. Given how powerful they can be, it should be hard (not easy) to max them out. Probably over the course of several events. Otherwise, there is not much to look forward to, if we get instant gratification on everything.

Just my 0.02$.
My beef here is that there is basically going to be almost negligible difference between a player who focuses on maximising feathers vs. a player who just blindly clicks away at chests...
I personally think that there should be a marked difference between the two. (besides just pulling out the credit card!)

If for example, say I myself only ever choose the most feather efficient chests, (then ideally), I should gain fewer daily specials, but as the trade-off, I should be able to get 1 phoenix building leveled or nearly leveled up.
I don't think that's asking for much, considering there's technically a whopping 27 required upgrades in total to get all 3 Phoenix buildings!!:eek:
But as it is, the spread is low enough that at best it looks like the 'feather focusing' player will be just 2 levels ahead of the 'blindly clicking noob'.

2.5-3 years (just spit balling!) to get all 3 phoenix buildings to Lv10 is a decent 'long haul project' to most reasonable people. But with the way things are looking, it's more likely to be at least 4-5 years at the rate we're gaining upgrades in this event! (ie: without dias)
That's kinda gakky on Inno's part imho.

DeletedUser20929

yep, with everything on the crafting list on the same rarity tier and pet food on there nine times it becomes pretty 'common'

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
:eek:

If for example, say I myself only ever choose the most feather efficient chests, (then ideally), I should gain fewer daily specials, but as the trade-off, I should be able to get 1 phoenix building leveled or nearly leveled up.
I don't think that's asking for much, considering there's technically a whopping 27 required upgrades in total to get all 3 Phoenix buildings!!:eek:
But as it is, the spread is low enough that at best it looks like the 'feather focusing' player will be just 2 levels ahead of the 'blindly clicking noob'.

2.5-3 years (just spit balling!) to get all 3 phoenix buildings to Lv10 is a decent 'long haul project' to most reasonable people. But with the way things are looking, it's more likely to be at least 4-5 years at the rate we're gaining upgrades in this event! (ie: without dias)
That's kinda gakky on Inno's part imho.

The folks who write the GoK website seem to think that someone who completes all quests and collects an average number of extra essences from around the map should be able to open enough chests to get 6 of the Phoenix upgrade items. In other words, collect 11 grand prizes without spending diamonds.

DeletedUser20929

Another case would be S&D chapter. I haven't done a full analysis yet, but it seems that this is a first chapter that is designed for tech lock (probably to force AW upgrades before Halflings). Unlike Orcs, there it's not a question of how much space you can afford to deploy (max structure is fixed). You're hard capped on the number of apprentices that is generated, and this is capped pretty low. It seems to me that unless your KP accumulation is extremely low (no tournaments / special buildings etc), you will be tech locked there for quite some time. Unless you deploy a ton of PPs - I believe we're talking 200-400% worth of PP.

300% PP is only four trading outposts, if you can get them placed ~20 days before you start needing them. 16 units of land, 80% of one expansion.
trading outposts new meta, and they haven't even launched them (yet) for this event. Might still show up though!

I have 215%PP and one trading outpost from the one event that I have participated in. I will be surprised if I get tech locked in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Unbeliever

The folks who write the GoK website seem to think that someone who completes all quests and collects an average number of extra essences from around the map should be able to open enough chests to get 6 of the Phoenix upgrade items. In other words, collect 11 grand prizes without spending diamonds.
Yeah, that gets you to Lv.7 out of 10

In FoE, where these 'evolving' buildings were ported over from, someone who can;
1. Finish the entire event quest line (both sequential + daily)
AND
2. Collect every 'daily log-in' freebie
AND
3. Play the 'event mini game' by focusing on maximizing evolution kits
...will finish the event with 1 fully leveled building.

Now, sometimes there's just the 1 building to go after, (ie: Forge Bowl event w/Colossus), but then other events like the current Spring event will have 3 variant buildings (ie: Fire, Earth & Water Pagoda House)
So in 'that other game', 100% completing the event will at least get you 1 fully building. But if you want more, then you gotta spend those diamonds!

For our event, it should have been possible to get just 1 phoenix to *at least* Lv.9 if you finish both quest lines *AND* pick-up 15-16+ eggs per day, (ie: be really active the whole event & log-in 4-5x day!), *AND* focus on always picking the most feather-efficient chests...
Alas, the Elvenar dev team are a bunch of scrouges with 0 math skills it seems. :(

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Recognizing that what kind of chests you pick will have an effect on the outcome. You can maximize your chance of getting a daily prize, or you can maximize your progress through the grand-prize list. You can't maximize both.

Deleted User - 3932582

I craft unleashed unit when they show up (rarely) and sometimes the Archer boost, plus one Grounds of the orc strategist, but I haven't seen anything else interesting, so maybe my expectations are lower than yours.
No, this is about the same for me (except MMM instead of GotoS, and I do speed boosts if running high on catalysts). But that's my point, with those things showing up rarely as it is, they will show up even less frequently if they keep stuffing draws with pet food. I literally got pet food every single draw since the event started, and quite often 2 or 3 at a time. Having something to craft more often is good, but having only one thing to craft often, and others a lot less - not so much, in my book.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Having something to craft more often is good, but having only one thing to craft often, and others a lot less - not so much, in my book.
There are lots of early chapter players, though, who simply don't have enough of some of the relics. one of the chapter 4 or 5 five players in my team had to push on marble, which wasn't their boost, because they hadn't been able to make combining Catalyst in several weeks. Just because some of us don't need that variety of pet food options doesn't mean there aren't people who do need them.

Crafting is a recent, essentially freebe. I figure if I get something useful out of it every week, that's something I didn't have a year ago.

Foldedspace

I'm finished with the main quest line. The requirements were so much better this time around imo. No building several T1 sets, no "buy 5,000 KP" (obvious exaggeration) every 10 quests. Everything was much more reasonable, while still requiring a good bit of planning to get through it quickly. I haven't opened any chests yet, so I can't speak to that, but I also appreciate that there's a wishing well available for a daily prize this time.

Deleted User - 3932582

300% PP is only four trading outposts, if you can get them placed ~20 days before you start needing them. 16 units of land, 80% of one expansion.
trading outposts new meta, and they haven't even launched them (yet) for this event. Might still show up though!
Placing them is usually not a problem, getting them is ;) As I said, this is doable, but getting more difficult. Noticed that Trading Outpost and Wishing Wells have moved into Grand Prizes? You can't get tons of them anymore. Well, you couldn't last time around; this time WWs are in the dailies, so perhaps TO will as well. But it is likely to be in Grand Prizes as well, probably the last in the loop.

I won a ton of straight PP instants (not from TO) from the last event, from chests and daily prize. Notice that both are conspicuously missing this time around (so far) ;)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Recognizing that what kind of chests you pick will have an effect on the outcome. You can maximize your chance of getting a daily prize, or you can maximize your progress through the grand-prize list. You can't maximize both.

Without going back and double checking first, I think the GoK info is written from the view of getting the most grand prizes over getting daily prizes. Out of the first 14 days of prizes, there are two I care about, so I have been just aiming for lots of feathers, so I am opening the smallest chests possible. 18-20 essence per feather for the little chests is better than 50+ for two or 82 for three. Though I did open a couple of the 82 point chests today to try for today's daily prize.

DeletedUser9601

Placing them is usually not a problem, getting them is ;) As I said, this is doable, but getting more difficult. Noticed that Trading Outpost and Wishing Wells have moved into Grand Prizes? You can't get tons of them anymore. Well, you couldn't last time around; this time WWs are in the dailies, so perhaps TO will as well. But it is likely to be in Grand Prizes as well, probably the last in the loop.

I won a ton of straight PP instants (not from TO) from the last event, from chests and daily prize. Notice that both are conspicuously missing this time around (so far) ;)
Fingers crossed for trading Post as a daily prizes...

DeletedUser4341

I have found that in my Winyandor city if a neighbor polishes my Fire Phoenix it will not allow me to feed it pet food.. That renders it useless until the polishing wears off which is 31 hours. In my other city Khelanor ..I can use it find as no neighbor has polished it.. Anyone else observed this?