• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Optimizing Space Usage in Your City

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I have enough culture to choke a horse, 102k presently
Right, but that's a choice- you'd have to run a sim and see if so much culture is actually effective.
Could you drop your culture bonus by 10% and get more than a 10% increase in coins/supplies by using that space for residences and workshops? Or is the culture completely tied to your mana production, therefore giving you less wiggle room?
Also (for some players) how does that choice effect your score? Very situational.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Could you drop your culture bonus by 10% and get more than a 10% increase in coins/supplies by using that space for residences and workshops?

I have some calcs on that somewhere showing equivalent needs for the % increase, had to do it in stages so won't always be 100% for a person but should give a good idea.

As to MH placement I started to do something similar to Soggy after I saw his approach. I am not always as efficient and sometimes use 2-4 roads but am happy with it as a way to minimise roads for some often large buildings (usually wonders, MA or barracks).

SoggyShorts

As to MH placement I started to do something similar to Soggy after I saw his approach. I am not always as efficient and sometimes use 2-4 roads but am happy with it as a way to minimise roads for some often large buildings (usually wonders, MA or barracks).
I find that the more wonders you have the easier it is the more options you have to do something funky like that since they all have strange shapes.
80% tied to mana production.
That does limit your choices a bit. I'm just starting Ch 9 and my architect plans are giving me triple the culture I need, and 95% comes from mana willows and culture/pop combo event buildings, so my choices will be limited too.

DeletedUser3507

Soggy I use 10 magic workshop and 25 magic residences, they keep me maxed 99% of the time, only having to pay 8500 k gold for an expansion causes a setback...

Magic residence vs normal lvl 23 residence 1200 pop magic 9 2100 pop which allows less houses to do same thing.

Magic Workshop 9 22,230 supplies per hr with spell. @ 190% can't compare don't have any normal ones

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Soggy I use 10 magic workshop and 25 magic residences, they keep me maxed 99% of the time, only having to pay 8500 k gold for an expansion causes a setback...
Interesting, so where is your bottle-neck?
There is always a weakest link, if you are always full on coins and supplies, is it goods that slow your advance in the tech tree? (I doubt it, I've seen you post that you have many factories). So is it KP or guest race goods?
If it's KP, then perhaps even more factories instead of culture would help you buy KP and move faster or maybe more military buildings so you can get more KP from tournaments.
If it's guest race goods, then replacing excess culture with more guest race buildings might be better.

Even if your concern is rank over progress, it's possible that a short term drop in rank by getting more guest race stuff will pay off as you unlock new techs that allow for building upgrades that give more rank per square. Same goes for setting up your city to get more KP for a thrones of the highmen upgrade.

Or perhaps you are using all that excess coin to buy KP for the above purposes, and that's the fastest way to progress for now.

DeletedUser3507

One thing I use the trader 1 time a day to make room for more coins and supplies, I don't buy kp's unless for contest.

I hate the new trader...

Magic Workshops I recommend to anyone with a culture boost over 165%

DeletedUser3507

I am unlocking Ancient Wonders today, and I am in no hurry to get into Dragons one tech there cost 7m coins

Waiting for quite a few in FS to find the bugs first...

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Any reason why not? Wouldn't it help you move forward in the tech tree to unlock better buildings/upgrades?

I also dont but kp, it just isn't needed to move forward in the tech tree. I hit the end without it even before tournaments. It allows me to use the buy function for rush KP at the times I deem it needed like tournaments to to get an extra 1 or 2 to secure a wonder reward.

DeletedUser61

It seems to be a consensus that the optimum space utilization is with the hall in the corner.
Your road network only needs to be connected to the Main Hall ONCE.

There are some clever arrangements whereby you can surround your Main Hall with very large buildings, served by an isolated road connection, or your Main Hall can be backstopped by cultural buildings that don't need a roadway connection.

You ESPECIALLY do not want a loop of roadway that covers all four sides of the Main Hall, or any loops at all for that matter. A spanning tree is ALL that's needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

SoggyShorts

do you really need 6 dusts? Unless you buy a lot of premium expansions and/or clear way more provinces than needed to open the next chapter chest there's just no way to support them and the upcoming guest races.

DeletedUser6455

Hi all,

I'd love some advice on my city. I have an elf city, midway through the Dwarf chapter. I'm just about ready to toss all of my seasonal buildings, because my layout is a mess, way too much unused space. Based on how I can't upgrade my residences till Fairies, should I be ditching any of my marbles? I can upgrade them now, but they change shape to become the other direction. I am a pretty active player.

Also, not sure what to do with my granite and copper layout.

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/1b9bee2da7384489b8be69d2f194ad92/