• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

A community based building!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
But that's not the reversal that I'm finding to be ironic.

He said we should "respect your elders", and gave his lack of google access while younger as a reason.
Then google helped prove that "respect your elders" isn't even a thing like he thought.

Bringing up the subject of google to gain respect, and having it backfire is the opposite effect of what was expected, and therefore is ironic.
At best, we'd have to be certain that he actually expected people to respect him more because he didn't have access to Google or Wikipedia, which I'm not prepared to grant. To me it looks like a joke that fell flat, and an actual reinforcement of my expectations, rather than a reversal. I certainly never thought for a second that I should have more respect for someone who didn't use Google in school.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
At best, we'd have to be certain that he actually expected people to respect him more because he didn't have access to Google or Wikipedia, which I'm not prepared to grant. To me it looks like a joke that fell flat, and an actual reinforcement of my expectations, rather than a reversal. I certainly never thought for a second that I should have more respect for someone who didn't use Google in school.
Then I think I know JPS better than you do:)
As you can see from his next quote, he fully thinks that his lack of google access in school made his schooling "much more difficult" and the implication that such adversity should garner respect in his mind is quite clear to me.
Still we had no Google and Wiki to use back then, kids today rely on it. and Thus we had a much more difficult schooling experience, today kids ask it everything, and depend on it.;)
That's my point.
I think the assertion that you had a "much more difficult schooling experience" is lacking in any proof. I suppose it was harder to open an encyclopedia than a wikipedia link, but only by a few seconds. Perhaps because access to knowledge was slower, you got less accomplished in school, but that doesn't automatically make it harder.
Having access to the internet at all times has also shifted the focus of schooling. Instead of needing to memorize facts as you did, all that information is readily available, so now the focus can be on the application of those facts, which can be harder than simple memorization, and is arguably more useful.

DeletedUser3507

Time, how long does it take to do research manually, versus electronic age, where you ask and have it immediately.

Quite a big difference. If that's not enough I can add more factors.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Apparently not, or you'd have recognized that he's become entrenched in a defence, and so is defending a position he didn't actually hold when it started.
More deeply entrenched, perhaps. Based on our previous interactions I'm rather convinced that his position was always thus.:D
Time, how long does it take to do research manually, versus electronic age, where you ask and have it immediately.
Quite a big difference. If that's not enough I can add more factors.
Right, I understand that gathering information was slower, but that doesn't mean schooling was harder.
It just means that now students don't waste as much time searching for information, and instead spend the time using the information.
That, or because they can research 10x faster, they are expected to research 10x more.
It's not as if you did 8 hours of research, and kids now do 1 hour of research and then take a 7 hour break.

Risen Malchiah

Having a discussion about this is like asking people to vote for coke or pepsi and then talk about it. What exactly is there to say other than that you like one over the other?
I can't explain why exactly, but Pepsi goes with pizza and Coke goes with Chinese food. It doesn't taste quite right the other way around. I don't know if there's an actual relationship between the flavors that compliment each other, or if that's just the way I've been conditioned to think because in NY all the Chinese food places have Coke and all the pizza places have Pepsi. Studies must be done! :)

DeletedUser

I like pumpkin sushi.

pumpkin-sushi-fall2012.jpg

shimmerfly

@Azkaban Do you like that with coke or pepsi or mango juice? And did you google that or get your Mom to take time off from making dinner for 4 kids while ironing their clothes, get in the car, and go to the library so you could make a copy of that picture of Pumpkin Sushi? :D:cool::p
I dislike coke, pepsi and especially sushi! Does anyone remember Fizzies?

Risen Malchiah

I've convinced myself that both Coke and Heinz Ketchup taste better from McDonalds. Also yellow M&Ms are better than the rest.
I had the same thought, but with the salt packets from McDonald's. I'm convinced that it's the sugar or preservative they put in them. But I challenge you to eat M&Ms blindfolded and tell the difference between the colors.

But to be on topic for this message:

I think the building should be 3x3 but with the center empty like a donut, which is a perfect place to put our beloved signposts or flower cages when we're in Halflings. (We're still talking about the building size, right?) :p

Maybe a 3x2/1/1 building (like an L or ┌─ shape) which leaves room to snugly fit an awesome unicorn. :D

Last edited:

DeletedUser

@shimmerfly LOL!

I love Pepsi, but I'm allergic to mango (and guava, and papaya). With sushi I drink hot green tea. :D

My Mom has all the time in the Universe...my Dad does too. I figure my Dad found the nearest planet to Earth that has one massive ocean, where he can spend Eternity fishing. My Mom is likely somewhere along the Nile, surrounded by mummies and spectral cats, and wondering why I haven't written that Holmes/Poirot crossover, or seen Wonder Woman yet.

Never had Fizzies, but I sure loved Pop Rocks, and instant Root Beer. :p

I think the building should be 3x3 but with the center empty like a donut

With Tony Stark sitting in the middle of it. :cool:

Maybe a 3x2/1/1 building (like an L shape) which leaves room to snugly fit an awesome unicorn. :D

But according to the principles of Feng Shui, one must design their home as though a Dragon would be living there. So the true question is, will Daenerys be comfortable in our new building?

Last edited by a moderator:

Risen Malchiah