• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Feedback Chapter Migration

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Not how it works. I have bought diamonds and I have had baby cities on other US worlds auto-delete when I stopped logging into them.

Wow! I have at least a couple of multiple years old cities on live that were opened on worlds that were not the world I wanted them on and never went back to play them. That is both my main user & alt. If they didn’t still show up when I log on every day I would have forgotten all about them. On the other hand, twice I started beta cities that disappeared when I forgot to go into them. Seems very strange if you had cities in your main user name deleted. I have no idea why they would do that to you :confused:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Wow! I have at least a couple of multiple years old cities on live that were opened on worlds that were not the world I wanted them on and never went back to play them. That is both my main user & alt. If they didn’t still show up when I log on every day I would have forgotten all about them. On the other hand, twice I started beta cities that disappeared when I forgot to go into them. Seems very strange if you had cities in your main user name deleted. I have no idea why they would do that to you :confused:

Well, the game has been around just over 8 years now, and I am sure they have changed around these policies more than once without bothering to tell the players.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
There was an Announcement at some point about Beta and its inactive cities, because many players planted small cities to peek at the new chapters. Mm I want to say ib late 2019, perhaps early 2020.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
There was an Announcement at some point about Beta and its inactive cities, because many players planted small cities to peek at the new chapters. Mm I want to say ib late 2019, perhaps early 2020.

That would be me :p I was saying that they won't remove inactive cities on live servers with same username as active cities on other worlds. I've even asked if they could be deleted and it was a definite no.

Still looking for chapter migration on Fely :(

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
I have confirmed that the Migration, as announced, was NOT done on only specific servers but on all. The first wave was for "players with a city in a single world," so all of you with "alt' accounts were not included in the first pass. I am trying to get more information to share about the next steps. -Solaris- may be able to provide additional details as they become available

Pheryll

Set Designer
I have confirmed that the Migration, as announced, was NOT done on only specific servers but on all. The first wave was for "players with a city in a single world," so all of you with "alt' accounts were not included in the first pass. I am trying to get more information to share about the next steps. -Solaris- may be able to provide additional details as they become available
I assume the process will culminate with moving everyone over to the new tech tree. Any idea how long the full roll out will take?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
For everyone not in the Beta forum, this ended up being divided into two batches. First all the cities in chapters 1-4 were advanced, and now in Monday, the cities that were already in chapter 5 will be advanced to chapter 6. I think this was because of a technical thing they had to work out, so this may or may not be how it is done here.

BrinDarby

@Astram ,
My understanding was Inno wants to move along
players to CH5 by moving Spire, why tho am I hearing
about another move to CH6 ?? Wouldn't that mean
1st you are moved to CH5, then bump'd again to CH6 ?
If thats the case, why not just move ppl right to CH6 ?

I still havent heard why this is occurring, ie- what is the
problem this is meant to solve. It is at the same time
really screwing up how all bldgs are balanced out .....
because most if not all were designed to mesh with
the old tech tree and player progressions. Nothing has
been said about chg'n bldgs to reflect the new tree.

Can you clear up the CH5 / CH6 question please.......
how far total are ppl being bumped up too ???
If my Q isn't clear enuff, I can restate if necessary.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Did I not, talk about this?

First of all in the  new tech tree, there is Spire research at the bottom of the first block of research, that is of course not present in the old tech tree.
Second, the number of provinces needed to open chapter 5 is 5 less than the old tech tree, in order to accelerate advancement.

In order for everyone to have parity, those who are in chapter 5 need to be moved forward. I am not sure why they all must be at the end of chapter 5, but I would suspect that each city affected would have to moved manually forward in the tech tree, and that InnoGames may not have enough trained staff to accomplish this. And seeing as how they are cutting back on expenditures, this is the path that they have chosen.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@BrinDarby all cities on the old research tree that are in chapters 1-4 are being moved to the start of chapter 5, or the end of chapter 4, if they do not have enough provinces completed to open chapter 5. And separately, all cities on the old research tree that are already in chapter 5 are being moved to the started of chapter 6, or end of chapter 5, again if not enough provinces completed to open chapter 6. Also, all cities on the old research tree that are already in chapters 6-20 will be moved to the new research tree, but this will not do anything other than make a slight increase in the tournament and Spire formula for squad size/costs. One last thing, because of the big differences between the old research and new research in chapters 1-5, all research in those chapters will be automatically completed, even the optional researches. This is why some cities will see the slight change in the tournament and Spire. This may also effect what can be brewed in the Cauldron if someone still had open optional research in one of the first 5 chapters.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Not how it works. I have bought diamonds and I have had baby cities on other US worlds auto-delete when I stopped logging into them.
Oh wow! I thought I had read somewhere a while ago on the forum (cannot remember where) that if you have EVER bought diamonds that your city will NEVER be deleted. This may be different on Beta but I highly doubt it. Did you file a support ticket back when it had happened to you? I apologize to everybody of I am wrong about this and did not remember correctly. I fall asleep on here a lot late night reading.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Oh wow! I thought I had read somewhere a while ago on the forum (cannot remember where) that if you have EVER bought diamonds that your city will NEVER be deleted. This may be different on Beta but I highly doubt it. Did you file a support ticket back when it had happened to you? I apologize to everybody of I am wrong about this and did not remember correctly. I fall asleep on here a lot late night reading.

Like I mentioned to Deb, things change over 8 years of game life and plenty of stuff they do not tell us when it does change. Inno did not like telling us how to keep cities from auto-deleting and I think Helya was the only CM who ever gave us that information.

BrinDarby

even the optional researches.
thats a big pile of doo-doo ....

I ask'd because I can poof into CH5, but why... if that means
I get shoved to CH6, this is utter sillyness ..... pick 1.... 5 or 6
but don't just move ppl willy nilly....

AND, rework the research, fine, but force completion of
specifically skipp'd Optional Researches... thats pretty much
chicken-doo-doo if ya ask me.... all my hard work shot to hell.
Increasing someones SS size by 35-40% makes a huge difference.

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
just move ppl willy nilly
There is no willy-nilly to this everyone will be on the same tech tree no matter the chapter they are on. ONLY folks in Chapters 1-4 are the most affected when they are moved to Chapter 5/end of Chapter 4, and there is no way to cherry-pick what optional research is done or not. It can only be all or nothing; in this case, all is much better, even if it causes an unpleasant effect. If you are in Chapter 5, you will advance to the End of the chapter or the opening of Chapter 6. This is a very small change but will put the game in a position of uniformity across all current accounts.

Having a single tech tree will simplify future updates, so we don't have issues like what occurred with adding the "cauldron tech" into the game.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
if you have EVER bought diamonds that your city will NEVER be deleted.
You are not crazy and your memory is fine! This keeps being repeated but it it false. My original city was iyapo. I quit playing and came back a few years later and that account was gone. So I started iyapo1. When the new tech tree came out I checked and the player name iyapo had finally been released for use, so I started new cities on the new tech tree with my original iyapo name. I was very happy to get my first name back. I spend money on all my accounts and always have.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
You are not crazy and your memory is fine! This keeps being repeated but it it false. My original city was iyapo. I quit playing and came back a few years later and that account was gone. So I started iyapo1. When the new tech tree came out I checked and the player name iyapo had finally been released for use, so I started new cities on the new tech tree with my original iyapo name. I was very happy to get my first name back. I spend money on all my accounts and always have.

Timon said that on multiple live videos. So, how long has it been since Timon & Rika were doing all of the videos? There you have it :) I don’t know why I and others have cities that have never been played on alternate worlds that aren’t deleted. It really doesn’t matter if they are in the dead zone & not clutter for other players.

and there is no way to cherry-pick what optional research is done or not

I have a hard time believing this. In order to know if a diploma is obtained or not there must be a way to identify which research items in a chapter are finished or not. I realize it would have been more work in development but saying there was no way to know is a little hard to fathom when it is a feature of the game and impacts whether or not a diploma for a chapter has been earned for the cauldron.

It feels sort of like this was just an oversight or a conscious decision that the increase in the development time wasn't worth the effort to avoid disrupting players who had made intentional game play decisions. It basically means that the CH 1-5 optional research items are no longer really optional unless you are starting a new city at this point.

I don't think any player will try to argue that getting everyone on the same research tree was not a good idea and will be a benefit to the game. I simply think the planning and execution could have done a better job of attempting to identify and mitigate "unintended consequences" like finishing intentionally skipped optional researches during the move.

I also think there should have been a way to move players actually into chapter 5 with that chapter's advanced scouting completed even if they lacked the required number of provinces and to also have the spire research completed for cities where they moved from chapter 3 or 4 where they had unlocked it. This would have avoided the "loss" of the spire and the need to open a lot of provinces in little time. Players would have had the entirety of chapter 5 to catch up on opening provinces for starting chapter 6. Things like this could have been addressed differently in order to avoid a feeling of being "hurt" by the migration. I'm sure there are others as well.

Last edited:

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
I have a hard time believing this. In order to know if a diploma is obtained or not there must be a way to identify which research items in a chapter are finished or not.
You are mixing individual game-play actions with Server-wide actions. Yes, your game knows what you have completed but over the entire server the rules for doing this and making it work right need to be as simple as possible, I am speculating. The more complex the more it could break things and that is bad.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Oh, okay! Thank you for letting me know lol! (I'm crazy irl though haha)