• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Increasingly difficult tourneys

Pheryll

Set Designer
Harder as in "Harder to get the same points as before"
In the late game half of the chapters give you no increase to barracks levels where most troops come from, and they all have 3 mandatory SS techs.

As I had presented before, throughout the guest races (from dwarf chapter and on), the speed increases to upgrading barracks, training grounds, etc. matches the 4 squad size tech increase per chapter. In that analysis I did smooth out the progression, so that you would only do two levels per chapter (and thus be two behind max every other chapter), but one should not be seeing a general trend that makes barracks, etc. not keep up. The only thing that you should significantly notice is the off-chapter effect, where you would tend to maximize the buildings as soon as the tech came out, rather than going more smoothly for two levels a chapter.

Deleted User - 3932582

Harder as in "Harder to get the same points as before"
In the late game half of the chapters give you no increase to barracks levels where most troops come from, and they all have 3 mandatory SS techs.
If you progress quickly through the chapters without a lot of techlock then your military AW increases will be outstripped by those SS increases.
But don't they give you 4x levels for military buildings then, even if every 2 chapters - comparing to previous 2x every chapter? This makes it more chunky, but I find that I've got benefit first, and then give it up slowly as the chapters progress - until the next level upgrade.

I don't know if this holds in subsequent chapters, but when I've got first 4-a-piece barracks upgrades in Woodelves (so L21->L25), I was amazed at how much easier it made all the tournaments. I produce more troops in a week than I use in corresponding tournament, so I am stockpiling troops for now. That has never happened before. Of course, things will slowly get worse while I'll be eating mandatory SS upgrades, but so far so good. And Halflings will bring another 4 levels. I think things are getting easier, not harder! That is, if you can keep up on top of supplies, as the burn rate is pretty impressive.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The only thing that you should significantly notice is the off-chapter effect
Exactly, so 50% of the time it feels like it's harder to do the same because you used up all of the barracks upgrade in the previous chapter.
I understand that only doing 2 barracks/armory upgrades per chapter smooths it out, but no one actually does that.
It's the same complaint when players say "this chapter only has 1 expansion, so I can't fit the ___ in my city" when the reality is that they took 16 map expansions 4 chapters early.
I was amazed at how much easier it made all the tournaments.
Right but no one remembers the easy stuff. It's just like how a player will complain that they didn't get a building after 25 spins but they'll never mention it when they won a building 3 spins in a row.

Personally, I've found tournaments always get easier because the game keeps getting easier.
  • Near 100% increase in tournament FS rewards(funneled back into wonders)
  • instants,
  • OP event buildings,
  • craftable VV, GoToS, MMM, ELR, UUU
All of these things certainly compound a lot faster than inno releases new chapters.

LEO1WOLF

I, too have a feeling that the Tourneys are a bit more difficult. Before, I could battle (with little - to no usage of Catering) to the 12th tier without a huge loss to my Troops. However, now I have a slightly tougher time getting to Tier 7 & I'm already starting to do the Catering. In fact getting to the 14th through 21st Tiers, my Troops are showing significant losses & significantly more than just 3 weeks ago.

Not sure if this is part of the cause: I always start a Tourney by sending in my 2-Star Troops to battle it out. But what I can't understand is, my 2-Star Dryad & my 2-Star Banshee have both been (somehow) demoted to 1-Star each, what causes that?

The Catering has become much more expensive as far as Goods go as well. This last Crystals Tourney, I actually bankrupted 2 of my 3 boosted goods, because I was hell-bent in getting them maxed-out as far as Production Boost Standard Goods are concerned (700% or 732% including the A.W. boosts on each).

Is it simply a matter of updating my appropriate/respective A.W., to help my Troops? I'm starting to believe my Troops are a bunch of wussies. Anyway, I hope I didn't just cause confusion with my frustration.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
my Troops are showing significant losses & significantly more than just 3 weeks ago.
You can only accurately compare 9 weeks apart. Scrolls is much harder than say Steel. Much of it has to do with range and initiative.
E,G,
In a Steel tournament, you are using archers with a long range who generally go first. This is a huge advantage.
In scrolls, even if you use fast moving dogs instead of another light melee unit, the enemy is using ranged units who generally go first.

This is what makes comparing tournaments so inaccurate- almost no one has the same city that they had 9 weeks ago.

kctanzen

Personally, any tourney with MistWalkers is harder than pretty much, well any other battle at all.
(Even when using orc strategist 2, which I have been told is the best counter unit I have just now for those infernal, demon spawn creations)
Those things are my kryptonite for sure.

DeletedUser8192

I have in the last few months of tourneys, suddenly found myself having my rear-end handed to me by level 1 and 2 troops with smaller squad sizes, VS my lvl 3 larger squads..*To the point that they literally decimate me*

I have honestly been floored as to how bad I have been trounced in some of the battles, and I am often in top 3-4 when tourney ends, so I do fight a lot, and have been for quite some time, so i understand formation, squad blend ETC..just like today b4 I logged in here, I started tourney and have only opened a page and half, and am already nearly out of troops and using mass supplies to get KP (UGH)

Like others here, I will no longer as of last Tourney bankrupt myself either, as I have been doing that a lot due to troop imbalance, and wanting to help out the Fellowship. which simply put is not worth it since so few are participating that we never make it past 6th chest, which really stinks because I really need the 10th for magic upgrades :-( (not disparaging my other members that put a LOT into it btw)

I do see where the o.p. is coming from, and we have also had several other long time players in the group commenting on this for a while now.

Sorry for any typo's, on a tiny screen right now..

SC

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It's difficult, but if your desire for tournament success is strong, then you have to pull the trigger and find a better team. If you are consistently scoring 500+ in tournaments, and willing to try for 1500, then almost any motivated team will welcome you

Deleted User - 3932582

It's difficult, but if your desire for tournament success is strong, then you have to pull the trigger and find a better team. If you are consistently scoring 500+ in tournaments, and willing to try for 1500, then almost any motivated team will welcome you
Fully agree. Small correction though, most 10-chest teams, in my experience, would want to see at least 1000 points as a 4 week average, preferably more. Exceptions can be made for people who are clearly hampered by weak FS.

@Seachant
And your FS averaged about 7K in the last 3 tournaments. With 24 members averaging more than 100K ranking points each. How's that even possible? No disrespect, but 7K is how much a single very strong player can get, or just 2 decent ones. So yeah, with that level of FS participation you won't get far.

I did take a look at your city. You're in S&D, but haven't implemented 4 barracks upgrades from Woodelves. I can tell you that going from L21 to L25 made a huge difference in troops production. You also don't have any military AWs, and craftable temporary military boosters make a big difference in the outcomes. Extensive catering in later chapters will definitely bankrupt you.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Fully agree. Small correction though, most 10-chest teams, in my experience, would want to see at least 1000 points as a 4 week average, preferably more. Exceptions can be made for people who are clearly hampered by weak FS.
That's why I specified willing to try for 1500. In early chapters, it's hard to score much more than that because you just don't have enough open provinces. A player entering Chapter 5 who is following the suggested expansion rate only has about 8 of each type of province open. If they are getting about 500 every week, they are probably committed and worth carrying for a few weeks as they expand.

DeletedUser8192

@Seachant
And your FS averaged about 7K in the last 3 tournaments. With 24 members averaging more than 100K ranking points each. How's that even possible? No disrespect, but 7K is how much a single very strong player can get, or just 2 decent ones. So yeah, with that level of FS participation you won't get far.

I did take a look at your city. You're in S&D, but haven't implemented 4 barracks upgrades from Woodelves. I can tell you that going from L21 to L25 made a huge difference in troops production. You also don't have any military AWs, and craftable temporary military boosters make a big difference in the outcomes. Extensive catering in later chapters will definitely bankrupt you.

Hi MinMax,

#1. Several people have had to stand down to deal with personal issues which affected us, (I have at times myself)
also, we have a lot of smaller players that don't have the troops or goods to score super high in tourneys, and lastly we also have people that simply don't put a lot into the tourney but we do not penalize them for it.

#2. I get that switching levels will affect the outcomes, but for me to be losing to level 1 squads that are half the squad size of my lvl 3's is pretty ridiculous regardless of military AW being built. I had those AW's but several long time players way, way back, convinced me to get rid of them for the real estate, and honestly, even with me owning them and having them significantly boosted in lvl, I was having issues with getting creamed..My point is, I was for quite some time doing extremely well, and the can of whoop-ass had stopped being delivered to me on a constant basis after fixes were done by INNO,

Now just recently, I am back to having the delivery service show up and hand me that can again, over and over..

I should not again, be finding myself suddenly bankrupted of troops within my first page of fights, that is simply ridiculous.

The Unbeliever

For me, the biggest problems are simply:
Human city;
- Mortars are fething hot garbage, while Pallies are hamstrung by being basically a clone of the V.Guards.

Elf city;
- Sorceress are just garbage.

Both;
- the AI sucks hardcore... it seems to play as slowed as possible with the player units, while then suddenly going full-blown Rommel with the enemy force.
- the terrain generator needs do and die in a fire. This more than anything is the biggest fail in this game's battle system, as 100% 'unwinnable' battles for either side Should. Not. Ever. Exist!! >.<
- the enemy gains in strength far too quickly... c'mon Inno, at least let use get into province 8 before we start getting hosed by 3* enemy units!:(
- drop the rate at which the enemy begin to out number the player as well. I'd much rather see a better spread of say +30% rd.1/ +5% rd.2/ -5% rd. 3/ -20% rd.4/ -35% rd.5/ - 50% rd.6
At least it would give a bit more slack in the early rounds, especially since you can't access most of the military boosts until the back 50% or more of the tech tree! (FFS Inno, we don't even have all the units even able to research 3* yet!!)

What I'd like to see;
- Rebalance the 'broken' units... Shrink the Mortar's damage range so he can actually do something besides just sitting around and getting his @$$ handed to him (even by the things he's supposed to obliterate!lol), give some better boosts vs. Light Infantry to the Paladin so humans don't have wait until over half way through bloody Orks & Gobbos to get a viable LI counter unit!
Likewise, boost the Sorceress back up a bit with a bit more health, since she took way too much of an over nerfing.

- Add more AW levels please.
It's bad enough that we have to constantly fight at a disadvantage due to all the AW's being age-locked. (ie: no heavy infantry boost until end of O&G's, while mortars need to wait until end of Halflings to catch a break!)
It wouldn't be an 'instant fix', but it would at least give a bit of help by letting a heavy fighter focus down on their Sanctuary/MM to keep boosting their units HP, since those UUU's are seemingly few to non-existent in the crafting! (haven't seen one in nearly a month!:( )

- likewise, please give us craftable boosts for Heavy Infantry + Heavy ranged units!! Humans especially are dying for these since our barracks units are lackluster by the time you're getting into Fairies. (at least the Fairies chapter gives elves their 'missing' mage unit in the Blossom Mage!;) )

- Nerf bat the ever-living-gak out of those (insert copious bad words here) Mist Walkers!!
C'mon, you all but killed off the Sorceress, time for the Mist Walker to join her in the Sad Panda pen!:p

LEO1WOLF

I have in the last few months of tourneys, suddenly found myself having my rear-end handed to me by level 1 and 2 troops with smaller squad sizes, VS my lvl 3 larger squads..*To the point that they literally decimate me*

I have honestly been floored as to how bad I have been trounced in some of the battles, and I am often in top 3-4 when tourney ends, so I do fight a lot, and have been for quite some time, so i understand formation, squad blend ETC..just like today b4 I logged in here, I started tourney and have only opened a page and half, and am already nearly out of troops and using mass supplies to get KP (UGH)

Like others here, I will no longer as of last Tourney bankrupt myself either, as I have been doing that a lot due to troop imbalance, and wanting to help out the Fellowship. which simply put is not worth it since so few are participating that we never make it past 6th chest, which really stinks because I really need the 10th for magic upgrades :-( (not disparaging my other members that put a LOT into it btw)

I do see where the o.p. is coming from, and we have also had several other long time players in the group commenting on this for a while now.

Sorry for any typo's, on a tiny screen right now..

SC
Seachant - - I can honestly say I've used some of your comments VERBATIM as I'm getting slaughtered as well. Thank you sooo much for posting your comments, it's nice to know someone really gets what I'm talking about. Heh-Heh, I'm sorry for your losses. ;-)

Deleted User - 3932582

Seachant - - I can honestly say I've used some of your comments VERBATIM as I'm getting slaughtered as well. Thank you sooo much for posting your comments, it's nice to know someone really gets what I'm talking about. Heh-Heh, I'm sorry for your losses. ;-)
Everyone is getting slaughtered, this is the nature of the scrolls tournament. Don't remember people complaining when they were cruising through the steel tournament a few weeks ago ;)