• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Mystery of the Misty Forest Event discussion thread

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Since there is no guaranteed outcome ... ie you do the quests you get the fully evolved prize.... then the quests shouldn't be so laborious. I think the neighborly help quests should be increased and decrease the relic and cc's. These quests are particularly hard for earlier players and quite frankly, they FORCE province expansion which is a no-no for the new tourney calculations.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
So tell me, how many people to you suspect don't place those expansions that they get? I would be interested in the number of expansions that people have in their inventory. I can't resist placing them, but maybe I'm quite alone on that elvenar island.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
So tell me, how many people to you suspect don't place those expansions that they get? I would be interested in the number of expansions that people have in their inventory. I can't resist placing them, but maybe I'm quite alone on that elvenar island.
Not many I suspect, but that isn't the point. The complaint was that clearing "extra" on the world map increases tournament difficulty. I merely pointed out that this isn't accurate.

DeletedUser26692

Has anyone heard if there will be an FA at the end of this event?

Vigali

Updated data points in case anyone is interested. Overall, it looks like I should be good to go with getting the final hat to max evolve before the event is over. I don't think I've been particularly "lucky" in any way -- I'm experiencing plenty of empty screens just like others -- but it does seem 100% essential to really maximize your available resources. To me, this means some basic rules:

1) Never use a light source on foggy areas that are empty (i.e., no prizes) unless it's a candle being used to progress forward on the map.
2) Only use lanterns when there are at least 3 "valuable squares" to illuminate. I define "valuable squares" as any squares that either A) are foggy and have a prize in them, or B) are shadowed with no blockages -- i.e., no foggy/empty squares, and no shadowed squares that visibly contain a barrier.
3) Only use flash bangs when there are at least 4 valuable squares to illuminate. To be fair, I used lots of flash bangs when there were only 3 valuable squares, especially when I ran out of lanterns -- but I think the target here should be 4.
4) Only use candles to either A) Progress forward in the map, or B) remove the fog from a prize-holding square. If you use a candle to illuminate a shadowed square on the top/bottom/back of the map -- i.e., a square that will not directly assist your movement forward -- you've made a mistake.
5) Constantly be progressing forward. You do not need to clear whole screens; in fact, doing so is likely wasteful. There is no "end" to the map, so maximizing the number of squares you illuminate over the total course of the event is more important than illuminating all of the squares you come across. When you try to clear whole screens, you'll invariably end up breaking rules 2 through 4.

Not super useful right now (since the event is almost over) but may be useful if this becomes a standard event format in the future.

Event Statistics To-Date
Total Mats Earned:

67 quests completed: 3,806 mats
13 daily rewards: 13*45 = 585 mats
Quest Reward: 300 mats
City collections: ~350 mats (estimated made based on: (known mats earned - known mats spent) - current mats held)
Total mats earned: 5,041

Mats Spent/Purchases Made:
Total Mats Spent: 5040
Total Purchases: 12 big packs

Event Performance:
Big Packs Purchased: 12
Grand Prizes Won: 11
Total Cats Found: 220
Cats Found Per Big Pack Purchased: 18.3

Future Estimates (over the remaining time of the event)

Remaining Mats Available:

8 Quests: 595 mats
8 daily rewards: 8*45 = 360 mats
City collections: ~215 (estimated based on previous 350 mats/13 days, for the remaining 8 days)
Total Mats To Be Earned: 1,170
Current Mats Held: 1
Total Mats to Spend: 1,171

Event Performance (remaining):
Big Packs Purchases: (1,171 / 420) = 2.8 big pack purchases left
Expected Cats: 2.8 big packs * 18.3 cats per big pack = 51.3 cats
51.3 cats + 0 current cats = 51.3 cats = 2.57 grand prizes = 1 more hat.

Based on these numbers, I should be able to get the final hat required to max the Witch’s Hut. Obviously there’s some fractional issues in here – I can’t buy 2.8 big packs, for instance – but even if I’m only able to buy 2, that would leave me 4 cats away (based on my average cats per big pack) from the last hat I need, and I’d have 331 event mats to buy the middle pack/individual items to get those 4 cats. I’m confident it will happen.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
lantern.png

A "perfect" Lantern placement would be in spot 3 where it clears 2 transparent fogs, 3 dark squares, and reveals 8 more dark squares making them transparent.

Vigali

This looks very low, no wonder you'd be running out of lanterns.

It might be -- with my personal definition of 'valuable squares', the maximum possible for a lantern would be 5 (since one square in the column of 6 is necessarily already cleared). That almost never happens though, because when you use a candle to move forward, you generally create 2 foggy squares north and south of your cleared square, leaving you with 2 fogs/3 shadows. So to meet my criteria for '5 valuable squares', both of those foggy squares would need to have prizes/cats in them (it has happened for me, but maybe once or twice tops). There are some other edge case scenarios where you get one of those extra clear squares after using a flash bang, and that can sometimes create the situation where you can use a lantern on 5 shadow squares, but that also happened very rarely for me.

I tried limiting usage of the lanterns to only 4 valuable squares, but found that I ended up creating a little stockpile of lanterns while running out of candles and flashes. This is obviously such a small sample size though, so it's completely possible that targeted 4 squares is better than 3 for lanterns and if I let things play out more, I'd have progressed even further.

Deleted User - 4646370

2) Only use lanterns when there are at least 3 "valuable squares" to illuminate. I define "valuable squares" as any squares that either A) are foggy and have a prize in them, or B) are shadowed with no blockages -- i.e., no foggy/empty squares, and no shadowed squares that visibly contain a barrier.
3) Only use flash bangs when there are at least 4 valuable squares to illuminate. To be fair, I used lots of flash bangs when there were only 3 valuable squares, especially when I ran out of lanterns -- but I think the target here should be 4.
I think number of squares you turn from shadowed to foggy matters more than thevnumber of squares you clear.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Well, I saved up a bunch for today's building and got zero of them. I completed another 3-4 grand prizes, but not a single daily prize.

Deleted User - 3932582

That's a very good point -- I will keep that in mind and adjust a bit for my next few runs at the event, thanks!
Yeah, I read it like you're counting completely dark squares that will be illuminated as "valuable". If that is counted, then 3 is way too low.

Dividius

This is easily the worst event I have seen. The video does not explain enough, and there is very little choice. It is very difficult to get daily prizes. Many people did not like the May Tree because of the shuffle feature. I finished with 13 artifacts. I have almost no chance to get 9. This event seems like an obvious attempt to make the FA more important because most people will need 1-2 more witch hats. While the FAs are fun when members work together, the rewards are pathetic. Fewer events with better chances for success in acquiring complete event buildings or desired daily prizes would encourage players instead of discouraging players.

This format should be viewed as a flop. On a positive note, the changes to the tournament are simply awesome.