• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Release Notes version 1.16

DeletedUser594

I chose to play Elvenar over Forge of Empires because I don't like fighting games. Elvenar seemed to be more of a builder game with some fighting. I used auto fight just fine until the new changes. I have over 240,000 rank points in E world and am over 300+ provinces out now.
300 provinces...hate to see how far out you would be if you liked fighting

DeletedUser43

300 provinces...hate to see how far out you would be if you liked fighting

If ChristyB is anything like me, not one province more. The scouts prevent you from going further. I don't know where this idea came from that fighting was so easy and because of it you could just go out as far as you wanted. No. You can't. You get stuck waiting for your scout. You wait days for your scout to come back. Sometimes days and days and days. Then the scout comes back and you can either negotiate or fight those provinces and you send your scout back out. But if you fight and clear the province nothing happens. Your scout doesn't miraculously come back home. The scout is still out there...scouting and scouting for days and days before the scout returns.

DeletedUser2753

Please note that when i posted the below comment I was being facetious. I sincerely do not believe it is feasible in a massively multiplayer online real-time strategy game (MMORTS), but was trying to make a point. I believe most players have voiced their opinion here in FEEDBACK and in beta and would have checked, no update for me, even with the addition of a new guest race, content and fighters. Updates should be positive, expansive, engaging, add something to the game or at least just fix bugs. Balancing should not be add more frustration to increase revenue.

Please add a new choice in settings. TURN UPDATES OFF: Yes No
This next Update is crazy bad, Let me keep playing the game I like and then when I decide the new game is better I can Update it.

Someone mentioned above Second Life in this regard. Linden Lab made serious errors around 2008, by increasing prices, and monopolizing the web based marketplace. I watched the game go from dynamic & growing, to upset players/creators leaving for Open Sim, to stagnant growth, to slowly decreasing, so now there are less then 50% of the concurrent players as before they screwed up. They too had 300 employees and had to let 100 go. I believe I am witnessing here this same thing a Second Time.

Buttrflwr

Please note that when i posted the below comment I was being facetious. I sincerely do not believe it is feasible in a massively multiplayer online real-time strategy game (MMORTS), but was trying to make a point. I believe most players have voiced their opinion here in FEEDBACK and in beta and would have checked, no update for me, even with the addition of a new guest race, content and fighters. Updates should be positive, expansive, engaging, add something to the game or at least just fix bugs. Balancing should not be add more frustration to increase revenue.

Someone mentioned above Second Life in this regard. Linden Lab made serious errors around 2008, by increasing prices, and monopolizing the web based marketplace. I watched the game go from dynamic & growing, to upset players/creators leaving for Open Sim, to stagnant growth, to slowly decreasing, so now there are less then 50% of the concurrent players as before they screwed up. They too had 300 employees and had to let 100 go. I believe I am witnessing here this same thing a Second Time.

Yep, I am not a dev or programmer, and code to me is pig latin. ;) That being said, I have played enough mmo's to know that there is no way to have a game live with multiple update levels out there. They would never be able to find bugs, fix errors, etc. It just isn't feasible. I recognized your facetious language, as that is my native tongue. :D :rolleyes::cool:

DeletedUser61

Whoever heard of light range dealing lots of damage to heavy melee?
You may want to review https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_crossbows and other similar sources.

Crossbows (light ranged) were a disaster for Knights (Heavy Melee). A farmer with a week of training, on how to use a crossbow, didn't even have to be very lucky to bring down a Knight who took YEARS to train.

"Who ever heard??" Grab a seat at a local Renaissance Faire. You'll get an earful.

DeletedUser4778

You may want to review https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_crossbows and other similar sources.

Crossbows (light ranged) were a disaster for Knights (Heavy Melee). A farmer with a week of training, on how to use a crossbow, didn't even have to be very lucky to bring down a Knight who took YEARS to train.

"Who ever heard??" Grab a seat at a local Renaissance Faire. You'll get an earful.

Thanks for the correction, Katwijk. I should edit my post to archers, not light range. The crossbow is indeed an exception because its mechanism allows it to puncture armor much more effectively.

I'd love to go to a Renaissance Fair but, unfortunately, there are none in my country. :(

DeletedUser3707

I agree. I think giving the choice of whether to update or not might be too much for the system but I'm no programmer. It would be neat but then we wouldn't be playing the same game and it would make asking for help and giving advice trickier. By flexibility, I mean more options and more ability to choose rather than all of us having to go through the same technologies whether they help us or not. I really don't like having to spend KPs (which equate to valuable time) researching stuff for unboosted goods and those small cultural items in the first half of a chapter which give you only one to two non-diamond cultural buildings (I particularly resent it when it allows me to build only one non-diamond building. I don't mind that they have diamond buildings because they do have to earn money but I need better cultural buildings at lower levels in a chapter).

But that might be seen as off topic. With regard to this specific release, there's none of what I would consider a significant difference between the stats of the old and new troops. I must say they did a good job of balancing a unit -- lower HP if the unit deals higher damage due to a special ability and the like. Okay, 10% more can be significant especially if you're dealing with hundreds or thousands of units but it's a headache for me because I have to familiarize myself with so many new different opponents and stats now. So, yes, there is a significant difference but it's also a significant headache and effort for me. :(

I've checked the stats of the new units that are available on my map and compared them to the previous ones and they're all weaker in terms of base attack and hp but stronger in terms of special abilities. That's in my favor for now but, if I had to use those new units, I would be disappointed due to spending time, KP, space, and resources for such weak stats -- essentially a sorceress with some shuffling around of points from attack and hp to special ability. They could be more useful against certain troops but I think what's needed more is a true and *good* revision of the battle *system*, not just adding new units.

What I would really like to see is more flexibility in our options of how to arrange our army in terms of both numbers and starting position on the battlefield, choosing which units of the same initiative order go first (because you often lose a unit's turn due to a pesky obstacle in front of it and fellow units beside it), etc.

For now, I've decided to be very selective about choosing my fights since I suffer heavier losses than before the new system. The increased training speed of the barracks doesn't make up for it at all, not by a long shot. Where 100 squads before could see me through at least 24 provinces with careful strategizing, they are not enough for less than half of 24. I'll definitely have to negotiate much more than I did before (I've negotiated only 3 encounters ever since I started fighting and those were because of the horrid cannoneers in horrible terrain where they kill you before you're even halfway through walking from one end to the other). I don't produce enough troops for all the encounters on my map and my impatience and boredom sometimes get the better of me. Aside from that, I need 10 more provinces for the Dwarves chapter and I don't want to fight all the time while waiting for the last techs in Chapter 5 to complete because it takes me more time to fight now and fighting all the time is exhausting. I never got tired of fighting in other games but I definitely get sick of it here.

I would also like to say that whoever programmed the enemy's movement is amazing. I have never been this impressed by anyone's or anything's movement before and would like to meet whoever did it to pick his/her brain. I'm learning a lot from seeing how the AI moves its units. I would have actually recommended this game to my friends and former players for that alone (not anymore since they will howl at the number and power of the troops stacked against them).

However, I want to point out that the AI doesn't get tired and doesn't get mistakes *but we do*. We're outnumbered, outgunned, AND outmaneuvered most or all of the time and the taste of defeat is bitter indeed. Even winning with heavy losses doesn't feel like much of a win especially if the reward is so small. You spend days or weeks building up your forces or goods to solve a few encounters or provinces in exchange for a pittance of land. One of my fave voice-overs in Age of Empires that I used to scare other players is: "You played for 3 hours just to die like this?" How I wish it were only 3 hours. All the time we spend on this game acquiring even just one province is sucked up by the black hole problem of space.

While the new battle system may be what the devs think as more balanced, I find it to be more nonsensical. Whoever heard of light range dealing lots of damage to heavy melee? I still cannot wrap my brain around the idea of an archer's arrow penetrating a knight's armor or treant's barkskin. I really can't find it in me to blame or criticize people who chose a certain unit to pit against a particular foe because their choices were logical in the real world and in other games.

Hiya! It's me again. lol
After you meet the programmer and pick his/her brain, explain to me what you find out. lol I need very simple terms and instructions for me to be able to remember and learn. lol Maybe you can pm me here or in Felyndral or Arendyll. lol Explain who goes well against who in a battle situation. I met my first Orc and Fairy too and had no idea what to do, same with the cerberus. lol I need lots of help please!!!!!!!!!! Crying while saying this. lol Whining really. lol Have a good one.

OFF TOPIC! When are they going to do away with dead/ghost towns??? I have so many that aren't changing so you know they're not active in my green space and I thought in this update they were doing away with them all. I forget which one's they are and go to them everynight. At least I still get coins for going there but I'd much rather there be an active person there.

DeletedUser3707

If ChristyB is anything like me, not one province more. The scouts prevent you from going further. I don't know where this idea came from that fighting was so easy and because of it you could just go out as far as you wanted. No. You can't. You get stuck waiting for your scout. You wait days for your scout to come back. Sometimes days and days and days. Then the scout comes back and you can either negotiate or fight those provinces and you send your scout back out. But if you fight and clear the province nothing happens. Your scout doesn't miraculously come back home. The scout is still out there...scouting and scouting for days and days before the scout returns.

I hate going scouting and waiting when I know that I can't fight. I came up against my first Orc and a Fairy, and a guy with a ponytail that looks mean and maybe Asian or something. I have no idea and do not know how to battle any of them. And Cerberus? OMG! I need help.

Bobbykitty, I had to laugh and don't do that often but just imagining what you are saying about the scout is very laughable but true. lol There's nothing to do when you get that far. lol Also it's too expensive the further out you are from your own City. lol idk crazy

I'll say another thing that is crazy/dumb. When you are in the middle of an action and you get an internal error message, it refreshes automatically and when you can see your city again, ha. The item, the coins/diamonds, and the supplies used are gone forever. I complained so much with this being my 2nd time losing something and I got the top guy in Germany at the head of the company telling me this game has not been programmed to return anything that is lost. It has been turned over to the developers to see what they can do in the future. FUTURE!!!!! It should have been programmed before the game even was open to play.

DeletedUser4778

Maybe you can pm me here or in Felyndral or Arendyll. lol Explain who goes well against who in a battle situation. I met my first Orc and Fairy too and had no idea what to do, same with the cerberus.

Unfortunately, I'm in Winyandor. I did toy with the idea of having a human city on another world but just don't have the time and energy. Fairies are mages so light range are my go-to-guys for them. Light melee are supposed to be good too based on the pentagram but I haven't used them yet because my stats show that most or all of my sword dancers will die before reaching their target. For orcs, it will depend on the type of orc especially since there are now many kinds out there. For cerberi and dogs, heavy range has the best bonuses against them followed by heavy melee. You will suffer a lot of casualties though. My treants were almost overwhelmed by the sheer number where they used to walk all over them before. There are advantages and disadvantages to using either the treant or golem vs. dogs. The golem has better bonuses against dogs but has no strikeback. On the other hand, it can hit the dogs without suffering strikeback which can be significant against promoted versions which have more strikebacks. The treant actually deals a wee bit more damage against dogs (despite the golem's bonuses) and can retaliate against them but at the same time will suffer their retaliations as well. You'll need to weigh the pros and cons vs the other enemies and choose which of your troop combo can deal the most damage to more opponents. I honestly haven't fought dogs that much after my near disaster with the treants and am focusing on other easier fights now but the combat veterans should have a better answer for you. I think it was @varron who said that he was having success with 2 golems and 3 sorceresses but that might not have been against these particular enemies.

When are they going to do away with dead/ghost towns??? I have so many that aren't changing so you know they're not active in my green space and I thought in this update they were doing away with them all.

I have lots as well and I don't think the problem will disappear as long as new players keep abandoning the game. I keep getting starter cities as my neighbors but they are replaced eventually by others as those cities were abandoned by their players and the cycle goes on.

DeletedUser61

When are they going to do away with dead/ghost towns?
Town that are safe harbor town, which means an average level of 4 or higher excluding the buildings that can't be deleted and/or if they have more then 200 purchased diamonds in their account, will never go away. There are some messy contractual reasons in the fine print.

And maintaining a shadow map has it's own problems.

The rather elegant solution is to move the safe harbor cities to the fringes of the map.
  • The new members who are also on the fringes of the map don't have a trader yet anyway
  • A visited city pays out twice as much as a Goldmine, so that's OK
  • If the absent player DOES return from their extended vacation, then they'll most likely be moved back toward the interior of the map during the next automatic sweep
It's an altogether elegant solution, and it seem to be working pretty well so far.

DeletedUser61

Seems so. I don't have any rigorous data yet, but even a casual glance indicates that there are very few Goldmines (not enough immigrants) once you get away from the finges of the map.

DeletedUser4778

What irritates me is when they replace a gold mine with the standard starter town but whose MH is wrapped up. Just happened to me again yesterday. Then they replace baby cities where I can click on something but they take so long to replace those cities where I can't click on anything. I don't understand the logic behind their algorithm -- if there is a logic or algorithm in the first place.

Anyway, to somewhat get back on topic, has anyone encountered the Mist Walker? I saw its stats in Elven Architect and it seems overpowered to me and it has a whopping initiative of 21 -- the highest I've seen so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3707

Town that are safe harbor town, which means an average level of 4 or higher excluding the buildings that can't be deleted and/or if they have more then 200 purchased diamonds in their account, will never go away. There are some messy contractual reasons in the fine print.

And maintaining a shadow map has it's own problems.

The rather elegant solution is to move the safe harbor cities to the fringes of the map.
  • The new members who are also on the fringes of the map don't have a trader yet anyway
  • A visited city pays out twice as much as a Goldmine, so that's OK
  • If the absent player DOES return from their extended vacation, then they'll most likely be moved back toward the interior of the map during the next automatic sweep
It's an altogether elegant solution, and it seem to be working pretty well so far.

I finally started a list going by the stats that you laid out. Just in half my green space in Felyndll I have 11 Ghost Towns and none give gold. How cheap. lol joking of course. There is no noticeable reason for these cities to be here. I would rather have new neighbors in there.

Blue

DeletedUser2870

The good part:
- Citybuilding is going to be interesting in the new chapter with the new buildingsizes. This will be a challenge.
- The mana is challenging, also making it more interesting.

The bad part:
- The moving of the upgrade 2 of the sorceress to the end of the woodelves chapter is even further downgrading this unit. By the time you get there she's not much use anymore due to the huge opposing squads. Also, her high initiative is a laugh because you do not want her in front of your troops, so the best way of actually using her without her being slaughtered before she is of use is skipping that first turn. Duhhhh?
- One new unit to be researched. And sorry to say, once again a non-issue unit. Now introducing a ranger, which seems to be a duplicate of the archer.
- The fairy units are only late-game duplicates of units already there (dronerider is just a weaker version of the swordacrobat, go figure! Blossommage is at best comparable to the sorceress)
- Only 3 expansions to be researched. Considering the scouting time and the size of the new buildings that's not going to be enough. Especially considering the fact that the fights are all but impossible, so scouting enough provinces for upgrades is one thing, actually getting them is quite another.
- Elves have virtually no defence against the cannonneer. By the time a unit can reach it it already is massacred.

Inno, if you want to give players 2 light-melee units and 2 mage units, at least specialise them both. For instance one extremely good vs mages and one extremely good vs heavy melee. Now both seem to be a mix with perhaps a slight advantage, but it makes virtually no difference. And the new light melee unit actually is weaker than the original!

Based on that I guess in the future we can expect a second heave melee unit and a second heavy ranged unit.
Personally I only thing that's interesting if they have some really useful additional abilities or all units need to become specialised. Having all units duplicated with only minimal differences in performance is just a waste. A waste of programming time and a waste of space in the recruiting list and the trooplist.
But complicating the battle-system in such a way is in my opinion contrary to the goal of the game. This is a citybuilding game with some combat. (or at least used to be). Players who want to play a more combat oriented game already do so.

Oh...and before I forget; what happened with the cliff representations of the Ancient Wonders? Nothing stated about that in the last few releasenotes as far as I can see, but they sure are gone.
(Not that they were working lately, but now they are completely gone. Kinda bare all of a sudden)

And another thing : please tell me we do not have to wait for months to get the magical residence and workshop fixed so that they can be upgraded, as was promised when they were first sold.
Selling something and then coming up short or changing it afterwards is called swindling or fraud. And I can say I'm pretty pissed about the fact they cannot be upgraded. Had I known that I wouldn't have bought them.
And I dare say many players feel the same.

DeletedUser3422

The information in the Forum is so very helpful to me, especially the updates. I was ill and unable to play for 3 months, the forum helped to bring me up to par on the changes that took place during my time away.