• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

(Spoilers) Rise of the Phoenix Event Guide

DeletedUser3640

Can anyone confirm that rewards are correct? I'm just confused a bit.

Grand Prize "Rise of the Phoenix" is a 4x5 building that gives 6100 culture and 2500 population (ch.10). At the same time daily reward "Phoenix Cult" is a 5x4 building that gives 3900 culture and 2900 population (ch.10).

If this is true, same sized daily reward will give more pop per square than grand prize, which will then make it more valuable to mid-to-end-game players, because population matters much more than culture.

Seems like a major ****up. Even if this was done to shut up people who were crying about their luck and inability to get grand prize, there's no justification for daily reward being as good as grand prize (and for some players - better than it).

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
If this is true, same sized daily reward will give more pop per square than grand prize, which will then make it more valuable to mid-to-end-game players, because population matters much more than culture.
I'd say it's probably accurate, but the dev's don't know about what's needed more at higher levels. (or know and don't care)
Otherwise what's the explanation for event buildings in chapter 9+ not giving mana?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Can anyone confirm that rewards are correct? I'm just confused a bit.

Grand Prize "Rise of the Phoenix" is a 4x5 building that gives 6100 culture and 2500 population (ch.10). At the same time daily reward "Phoenix Cult" is a 5x4 building that gives 3900 culture and 2900 population (ch.10).

Everything is a choice. Some people, even at the high end, like maintaining a high culture. Trading 2100 culture for 400 population seems like a meaningful choice to me. Especially when few people will get the grand prize unless they choose to buy it.

(edit: none of which should be interpreted as a necessarily a disagreement. In general, the prizes for this event are (in my opinion) not worth putting effort into..

DeletedUser3640

I'd say it's probably accurate, but the dev's don't know about what's needed more at higher levels. (or know and don't care)
Otherwise what's the explanation for event buildings in chapter 9+ not giving mana?

I was thinking about it, and the only thing I could come up with is that they are trying to balance mana gain, or keep it balanced, whatever.
Everything is a choice. Some people, even at the high end, like maintaining a high culture. Trading 2100 culture for 400 population seems like a meaningful choice to me.

"At high end" high culture is maintained "automatically", because players must have (must have implies no choice in this instance) a lot of culture buildings.....to gain game's new resource - mana.

But fine, even if someone, for unknown reason to mankind, needs extra 2k of culture in chapter 10, and thus prefers grand prize over daily one, there's almost no difference (in terms of efficiency, of course) between these two buildings. In my opinion, that should not be the case, because one building requires a lot of effort, luck and probably money to get, and other.... simply does not.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
there's almost no difference (in terms of efficiency, of course) between these two buildings. In my opinion, that should not be the case, because one building requires a lot of effort, luck and probably money to get, and other.... simply does not.
I agree. My earlier response was poorly considered. In general, the prizes are not worth the effort, and the grand prize is probably one of the worst choices of all they made for the event.

ekarat

Why is population per square not just population divided by the number of squares?

For example, look at Grand Prize 3 in chapter X: 2,500 pop, 20 squares, 430 pop/square.

The numbers simply don't add up. What's going on here?

Wait. They list Culture, Culture/sq, Pop, (Culture+Pop)/sq

So, the last entry is (Culture+Pop)/Square, not Pop/square.

SoggyShorts

In general, the prizes are not worth the effort
I agree, but I wonder if we'd feel this way if the winter prizes hadn't been such beasts? Getting 15 winter stars on each of my accounts was a game changer- effectively gave me 3 expansions or more. These event prizes are weak in comparison, but on their own not terrible in some cases.

At fairies The 3x3 trees were ~200 culture per square, and the burning egg is 170. But the best non-event you can get in fairies is 100/sq, so compared to that it's good.

I am happy that they are trying to make "new" buildings like culture+coins, culture+supplies/orcs-- even the travelling merchant is a try at something new (even if it didn't work, I appreciate the effort)
Wait. They list Culture, Culture/sq, Pop, (Culture+Pop)/sq
So, the last entry is (Culture+Pop)/Square, not Pop/square.
Yeah it's a bit of an odd choice on @Draconomicon 's part to do it that way. Adding together pop&culture to get a total value implies they have equal value, which to most players they don't.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I agree, but I wonder if we'd feel this way if the winter prizes hadn't been such beasts?
I don't think they were beasts. They were very good, but for the most part took a lot of extra effort, and within a couple of three chapters I'm already making plans to deprecate some of mine. The Snowy Charming Trees were fantastic, but now that I've moved from Ch iV to CH VI, they aren't going to last much longer. I think that's ideal. I don't have a lot of room for the people who want to be able to scale them, but I think that a little overpowered on something that will eventually wear out is the ideal way to make an event desirable. Making them only a little better thant eh standard removes the incentive to upend your planning for an event.

SoggyShorts

I'm too lazy to find my calcs, but if I remember right the winter stars were better than houses (in pop/square)for the chapter you were in and the next 2. Plus all the free culture, and not needing a road.
That is as you said "very good" at a low chapter like 3/4/5, but you will outgrow them pretty quick. Whereas someone who got them in chapter 7, and will keep them through chapter 8 and 9 that is a much longer time period. Still 3 chapters, but 3 loooong chapters.

I do agree with not making them upgradable, I'd rather replace them each year. Depending on how long chapters take it may be possible to keep replacing a portion of your city each summer/winter.
I think that a little overpowered on something that will eventually wear out is the ideal way to make an event desirable. Making them only a little better thant eh standard removes the incentive to upend your planning for an event.
I agree, I put off making any copper mines, and nuked a rally point to do these quests. During winter I didn't build any night farms until it was over.
I wouldn't have done any of that for "meh" rewards.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
That is as you said "very good" at a low chapter like 3/4/5, but you will outgrow them pretty quick. Whereas someone who got them in chapter 7, and will keep them through chapter 8 and 9 that is a much longer time period. Still 3 chapters, but 3 loooong chapters.
Which implies to me that the answer is probably to scale less quickly, so that a building earned in a later chapter is not quite as great a deal as it is in the early chapters. So that it only provides an advantage for 2 chapters, perhaps.

SilverbugLuxor

Yes.

I think this is more a reflection of how overpowered some of the winter prizes were. For example the 15 winter stars I got in chapter 7 are better than chapter 9 houses in pop/square, don't need a road, and give culture instead of taking culture

EDIT:
The prize I'm interested in the most is the orc's nest. That building makes orcs for free, so a non-combat player can replace armories provided they are in chapter 8 or higher.
The travelling merchant (effectively a non-boosted goods producer) is a strange choice, as it is much worse than just building your boosted goods, and even if it wasn't, I thought they nerfed the wholesaler to promote trades....

I see the main quest list, however I cannot figure out the second one that rebounds every 24 hours