• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Should winning FA prizes be a competition?

Should winning FA prizes be a competition?

• Yes, competition is a good thing.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Yes, it's something new and I like this direction.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Yes. (other reason)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, I don't want other fellowships to effect my success rate.

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • No, I didn't come to Elvenar for competition.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • No. (other reason.)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I was told there'd be cake.

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@Breann
Answer this simple question, please:
If 2 fellowships put in the exact same effort, but one is full of players with premium expansions, which will win?
stairs.jpg

Last edited:

DeletedUser4195

@Breann
Answer this simple question, please:
If 2 fellowships put in the exact same effort, but one is full of players with premium expansions, which will win?

Either team is capable of the win, regardless of premium expansions purchased. Why? Because every square inch of space in both cities is already being fully utilized. I have 23 expansions and I had no room to build even a single 2x2 level 1 workshop or manufactory, whereas you had a field full of them. I wasn't about to tear down a level 23 manufactory to put up a few level 1 buildings. Because I have purchased premium expansions doesn't mean I have any extra space. My extra space is occupied with 31 manufactories, the residences and workshops needed to support that and the culture needed to support the population. My city is much bigger than yours, as is any city with premium expansions. It certainly doesn't mean I have 23 extra expansions just sitting around empty.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The truth is always somewhere in the middle. I don't resent people who spend money, I spend some of it myself. I feel like this issue with the event is in comparing players to other players for a limited number of prizes. In the tournaments, anyone who gets a certain number of points gets a certain prizze, regardless of whether they spend a lot of money or none, but in this one, I might spend $100, and someone else spend $1000, only to lose out on the top prize to someone who has spent a $1100.00. It's a fundamental shift in how the game is played to have prizes that you can't guarantee winning unless you are willing to commit an infinite amount of money.

DeletedUser4195

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. I don't resent people who spend money, I spend some of it myself. I feel like this issue with the event is in comparing players to other players for a limited number of prizes. In the tournaments, anyone who gets a certain number of points gets a certain prizze, regardless of whether they spend a lot of money or none, but in this one, I might spend $100, and someone else spend $1000, only to lose out on the top prize to someone who has spent a $1100.00. It's a fundamental shift in how the game is played to have prizes that you can't guarantee winning unless you are willing to commit an infinite amount of money.

Comparing the tournaments to the fellowship adventure is like comparing apples to oranges. They aren't even remotely similar.

SoggyShorts

It certainly doesn't mean I have 23 extra expansions just sitting around empty.
This I actually agree with, it's a somewhat valid point. Although whatever you've used that space for does help you.

What I'd like to see addressed is this:
Think about all of the extra work after completing the 3rd stage that rank #51 FS did.
They got absolutely nothing for their extra effort.
And if you say "they could have put in a little more effort and been #50"
Well then what happens to #50? they become number 51, and get absolutely nothing.

No matter what, there are now losers in this game that previously only had guaranteed rewards for a set amount of effort.

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Because I have purchased premium expansions doesn't mean I have any extra space.
Actually it does. You might not have extra free space but the whole point of expansions is that you have extra space. Regardless of what is in that space, some of it was going to make the event easier. Whether it's because you are producing an extra 100k goods a day, or that many extra tools, or have that much more coin coming in from residences. It doesn't matter what you have done with the 23 extra expansions, it has reduced pressure on other things and made the event easier.

The Unbeliever

Either team is capable of the win, regardless of premium expansions purchased. Why? Because every square inch of space in both cities is already being fully utilized. I have 23 expansions and I had no room to build even a single 2x2 level 1 workshop or manufactory, whereas you had a field full of them. I wasn't about to tear down a level 23 manufactory to put up a few level 1 buildings. Because I have purchased premium expansions doesn't mean I have any extra space. My extra space is occupied with 31 manufactories, the residences and workshops needed to support that and the culture needed to support the population. My city is much bigger than yours, as is any city with premium expansions. It certainly doesn't mean I have 23 extra expansions just sitting around empty.
So you don't have fields of Lv1 workshops? So what... those 31 manufactories mean the orange path is a near auto-complete for such a group, while most others simply don't have that extra space to afford dozens of additional factories + the pop & culture to support them.
You're still playing at a marked advantage vs. anyone who can't/won't pay for premium expansions and/or buildings!!

And honestly, please get over yourself...
Saying that the "pay to win" fellowships have an advantage isn't a slur or cheap shot at paying players. It's just stating a plain FACT.

The *real* culprit so many others are taking issue with is Inno for organising a competition that is inherently massively skewed in favour of only their paying customers!!
There are plenty of ways around this problem that would keep ALL sides happy, and best of all, allow EVERYONE to have a more even-handed shot at winning really good prizes.

If you honestly can't see why having a "competition" that pretty much is a near auto-lose for 80%+ of the players in the game, then I'm afraid I can't help you...
Unless you're the type who thinks it's perfectly "fair" to have say, a chess tournament whereby one player gets to play with 5 extra Queens if they spend $100 upfront, while everyone of those filthy, disgusting 'freeloaders' only get nothing but pawns & a king.:rolleyes:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Comparing the tournaments to the fellowship adventure is like comparing apples to oranges. They aren't even remotely similar.
That's right. Tournaments allow anyone who participates to the same level to get the same prize. Fellowship adventures don't. that's my point. They are not similar. One of them has prizes out of reach of most players.

Saying you can't compare apples to oranges because they are different is meaningless if the point you're arguing agaisnt is that apples and oranges are different, and a game about apples shouldn't have oranges in it.

DeletedUser4195

This I actually agree with, it's a somewhat valid point. Although whatever you've used that space for does help you.

What I'd like to see addressed is this:
Think about all of the extra work after completing the 3rd stage that rank #51 FS did.
They got absolutely nothing for their extra effort.
And if you say "they could have put in a little more effort and been #50"
Well then what happens to #50? they become number 51, and get absolutely nothing.

No matter what, there are now losers in this game that previously only had guaranteed rewards for a set amount of effort.

I agree, there will always be winners and losers in FA. BUT, I think any fellowship that competes and makes an honest effort comes away a winner. Why? Because now they're communicating, now they're working as a team. What did they win if they didn't win a prize? They won the satisfaction of really working like a team and they all just got closer as a single cohesive unit.

DeletedUser4195

That's right. Tournaments allow anyone who participates to the same level to get the same prize. Fellowship adventures don't. that's my point. They are not similar. One of them has prizes out of reach of most players.

Saying you can't compare apples to oranges because they are different is meaningless if the point you're arguing agaisnt is that apples and oranges are different, and a game about apples shouldn't have oranges in it.

Stop with your silly double talk and trying to make a point where you have none to make.

SoggyShorts

@Breann
Here's another way to look at it.

Previously everything in the game required a defined task for a defined reward.

"Travel 5 miles, get a cookie"
Diamond players could go by car, or even teleport if they spent enough. Free players had to walk, or maybe run. This most found acceptable, as everyone could get a cookie if they put in enough work.

Now there are only 3 cookies. No matter how fast anyone walks, runs, drives or even teleports, there will be 3 winners and everyone else loses.
That isn't the game many of us signed up for.
I think any fellowship that competes and makes an honest effort comes away a winner. Why? Because now they're communicating, now they're working as a team. What did they win if they didn't win a prize? They won the satisfaction of really working like a team and they all just got closer as a single cohesive unit.
We already had that. That's not a win, that's barely a participation ribbon.

DeletedUser4195

@Breann
Here's another way to look at it.

Previously everything in the game required a defined task for a defined reward.

"Travel 5 miles, get a cookie"
Diamond players could go by car, or even teleport if they spent enough. Free players had to walk, or maybe run. This most found acceptable, as everyone could get a cookie.

Now there are only 3 cookies. No matter how fast anyone walks, runs, drives or even teleports, there will be 3 winners and everyone else loses.
That isn't the game many of us signed up for.

We already had that. That's not a win, that's barely a participation ribbon.

**Just because you decide to compete doesn't mean you should get a prize.**

What part of the word competition don't you understand? I'm finished arguing my point because it is pointless to even try. You just keep coming back to diamonds. Just refer back to my other post. When you've finished blaming fellowships who have a lot of "PAY TO PLAY" members for your loss, get back to me. Oh wait, that will never happen.

edit: I would invite anyone to read my quoted version of their posts as they have gone back and edited their original posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One

What part of the word competition don't you understand?
What we are having trouble communicating is that this was not advertised as a competition, and Elvenar has never had any competition before (except for ranking points, which have no effect anyone but those who choose to care about them). There is nothing wrong with you liking a competitive element to the game, but it is a change to the game and is unwelcome by a lot of people who have been playing a game that did not include competition before, and that did not reward exclusive prizes for competition.

Stop with your silly double talk and trying to make a point where you have none to make.
Your inability (or unwillingness) to understand my point does not make it double talk, and doesn't negate my point. Fellowship Adventures represent a fundamental shift in the game's direction, and lots of people don't like it. You introduced apples to oranges in a completely nonsensical fashion. Getting upset that I pointed that out is a nice deflection of the issue, but doesn't fix anything.

DeletedUser7370

Ah, and therein lies your confusion. No other aspect in the game is a competition. The game is designed to be about helping your neighbors and cooperating. We didn't choose to compete. Inno tossed this competition into a game that is not about that and some of us think that is a horrible idea.

DeletedUser4195

What we are having trouble communicating is that this was not advertised as a competition, and Elvenar has never had any competition before (except for ranking points, which have no effect anyone but those who choose to care about them). There is nothing wrong with you liking a competitive element to the game, but it is a change to the game and is unwelcome by a lot of people who have been playing a game that did not include competition before, and that did not reward exclusive prizes for competition.

That's funny because we were aware it was to be a competition and we were eagerly awaiting its arrival. If it is something a lot of people don't want...why did so many hundreds of fellowships take part? Those that don't like to compete do not have to. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. If however, they want a reward the Fellowship Adventures offer, then unfortunately for them they will have to compete for it. Most likely 99% of those competing won't win anything so they are better off not trying. It will simply make winning the next one even easier than the first.

Your inability (or unwillingness) to understand my point does not make it double talk, and doesn't negate my point. Fellowship Adventures represent a fundamental shift in the game's direction, and lots of people don't like it. You introduced apples to oranges in a completely nonsensical fashion. Getting upset that I pointed that out is a nice deflection of the issue, but doesn't fix anything.

I have no difficulty with understanding your point. You began comparing tournaments to fellowship adventures and how one awarded you based on your individual efforts and how the other might not give you any reward. I merely pointed out...as I will again...the two are totally different things. I will say again...it is like comparing apples to oranges.

DeletedUser4195

So so close to you understanding.. Just a little more reading comprehension and I think you can get there.
We. Don't. Want. To. Compete.
We want to complete a task and get a reward.
...and you can continue to do that in all other aspects of the game. Nothing has changed that. Just because you don't like to compete does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to??

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
...and you can continue to do that in all other aspects of the game. Nothing has changed that. Just because you don't like to compete does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to??
Nope. It does not mean that. You are free to compete. We are free to agitate for it to not be in Elvenar. You are within your rights to say this is a good change, and we are within our rights to say it is a bad thing. The developers will decide who it's more important to listen to.

Nobody is trying to stop you from competing.

SoggyShorts

This game had no competition for years, that's why many of us chose it. There are loads of other games with competition, even inno has a few. If this game is becoming a game of competition, players will find another that doesn't. Judging from the poll (which I know is too small a sample) there are quite a few that feel this way.