• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ban and Boycott Elvenar

Who will unite in a ban on purchasing diamonds until the new battle changes are rolled back?

• Total voters

DeletedUser4417

Why do you sound like defensive developer? Go look at my city in Khelonar. I've been here 2 months. Tell me what I've "neglected". I challenge you - but then how much credence should I put in the words of a "New Member"?
New member just means that I am new to the forum, not new to the game.

DeletedUser1365

Once again, I am asking everyone posting here to be civil and not make personal attacks. Also, will all Innogames employees please practice the ethical construct of full disclosure and declare themselves or refrain entirely from posting here.

DeletedUser3819

I have been playing this game about a month and a half and was really enjoying it. The enjoyment from this type of game comes with progress. With the recent changes, progress will be severely curtailed. One of my favorite parts of the game was the fighting in provinces. After the changes, in my 5th ring I now face defending armies that have quadrupled or more in size than what they used to be. In order to progress at even a small portion of my previous pace, I now have no choice but to buy diamonds. More developed players have a much larger resource base and may have the option to adjust and put more resources into army building. The newer players don't have that option. At this point, it will take me weeks building resources to be able to even attempt to fight an encounter. Not a lot of fun. I have run into this in other similar "pay to be able to play" games and my interest dwindled quickly. The only things keeping me in this game right now are: 1. Some very friendly fellowships and 2. the hope that the designers realize their mistake and improve what is an important function in their game. I agree with some that have said other new players will join the game, not realizing the changes that affected the game, but I would wager that they won't stay long when after a few weeks their progress slows to a crawl. I also realize part of designing and maintaining a game is to continue to develop material to keep up with the progress of the higher players. But changes to implement that material shouldn't drastically affect the play. I have been in many games in which this happened and they rolled back until they fixed the problems. They should have a beta world for the more experienced players to test the changes. Not sure if they do this or not. I'm sure some will call this whining, but if I am investing time and money in a game, it needs to be one that is fair and enjoyable.

They DO have a Beta Game where they rolled out these changes first. All the players gave negative feedback (just like us), but they did what they wanted to do anyway. It tells you their priority.

DeletedUser4471

New member just means that I am new to the forum, not new to the game.

Gotcha.

That said, might you be willing to accept that your playing style is not the only one? I get some satisfaction from building, but fighting keeps it from being boring - or at least it did. Anyone can follow a checklist/quest line and build a city. It is very formulaic. I get very little enjoyment from simply going through the motions that someone else dictates. Goodness knows that I see far more of that than I care to with my job.

There's a very old saying, "perception is reality", and my perception is that something that I enjoyed was taken away from me. It's your choice to either acknowledge, or dismiss my complaints, but pretending like they are invalid would be disrespectful, and could blind you to the reality that the game is headed in the wrong direction (at least in the minds of many).

DeletedUser4556

I have been playing for over a year, since it first began. I have played other building games and it seemed this one was more fun than others because of the fellowships I found. However, it has now become untenable to expand as I did the quests and explored and now I can no longer either negotiate (not nearly enough goods) or fight (can never win, no matter what). I do not feel that it is fair that if I am to expand my city I must either pay real money or just sell everything and make way for the "new" stuff. I have read through all the pages of this, the acrimony, the insults, and I am sad to see this. It is a game. It should be fun and stress-relieving with just enough challenge not to be boring. Instead, I am reduced to setting the factories to work twice a day and spending what knowledge points I've garnered over the 12 hours between on research. I cannot use the magic academy as I have no way to get relics any longer since fighting is impossible and I cannot get enough goods. My fellowship helps as much as possible, but many folks have just bailed with all the changes. If Inno does nothing else, I hope they do not keep the squad sizes on opposing sides so unbalanced. Thank heavens they are NOT doing what other games have done and had neighbors raiding each other. That was most depressing.

Istaru

First off, any talk of a ban, boycot etc is premature and short-sighted at best. This has been tried in other games and venues where there is f2p and p2p and the result has always been the same throughout. Although your loss of coin might cause a temporary stir, there are still and will always continues to be people that will gladly step into the void that you create and fill it. The game is stable, it has good graphics, no glitching that is major etc. They have introduced something that is, at the moment, not complete, not fully understood and for the moment is being given a bad rap by people that are for all intents and purposes, whining. Are things unbeatable now? No. Do you now have to think a bit more in battles? Yes. So what.

They have rolled this out and as was noted, they spent a while developing this. They are not going to just roll it back because a few people will no longer pay in. Give the new changes time to get fully implemented and to actually see what is there and what is not. I see a LOT of whining from people. Most of it is because they did not understand what happened and assumed.

I just started over from a new account after the update to see how it goes from the start. The battles are completely unwinnable, ever. The first province I scouted had heavy ranged units and heavy melee units in bunches of 13 or more. My initial squad size was only 6. Even now that I have researched enough to get archers and have a squad size of 15, the mobs have also increased in size. They are throwing mages and heavy units and war dogs at me in large quantities. I tried 5 full squads (3 light ranged and 2 light melee) and I managed to kill 1 unit and was slaughtered.

The only way to expand is to negotiate. So I need more space for manufacturing. However I still am forced to research and waste space on military things, even though it is a complete waste of space and resources and knowledge points. If I don't research barracks, I can't get to expanded residence. If I research Barracks, the military quests start, and I have to complete them to clear the way for the rest of the quests. There is no option to decline these. It is getting very slow to manufacture enough resources to win any encounters. I need more space, but it will take weeks at this rate to get enough planks and marble to negotiate. I am not enjoying the new battle setup at all. I wish they had uncoupled the battle research from the city research so I could choose to ignore the military things completely.

DeletedUser61

You don't understand half of what I'm telling you and ignore the other half. You apparently think the devs can do no wrong and everything they say is true.
It takes a lot of chutzpah to think that you understand "the game" better than the developers.

Very much to the point, these types of changes are DRIVEN by folks who were pushing the envelope, and distorting the "game balance" that the developers have been trying to maintain. This "push the envelop dynamic" is, in fact, the primary motivator for many of us.

I don't really much care if you've been temporarily inconvenienced by the changes. I'd much rather hear how you think the changes will effect the integrity of the game for FUTURE players.

DeletedUser4539

I totally suspended progressing the tech-tree months ago, and the reason is the game feels more confused with every new 'guest race' intro. I need to go back and see if there is something new in the past chapters as the the tech-tree evolves, and I simply do not trust that the new stuff is the 'final' version. The latest changes prove that there was some fundamental flaws is the game design that had to be corrected - and there are probably more.

I play about half dozen of these browser-based games, and I never invest too much time, money or effort in any of them too soon. A lot of posters here are right about the fact that the players complaining the most and the loudest are those who invested too much, and maybe too soon.

I for one complain because I want a better video game. I guess most players complain for the same reason only they are not spelling it out as such. We want to play a game that is not in constant flux and have strong community with lots of features. The current FellowShip model, for example, is still too shallow and mostly meaningless.

I do not know what works for you, but IF you do not mind falling back on the Ranking scale you could kinda 'boycott' the game by camping out like I do, and just level your or your mate's AWs and collect goods. Stop progressing on the research tree, invest less emotionally and financially until you get over these imperfections in the game, they finally stabilize it to your liking, or you find something else to play.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I just started over from a new account after the update to see how it goes from the start. The battles are completely unwinnable, ever.
Strange, our main fellowship just started new accounts on another world and none of us had any issues auto fighting the first 10 encounters....

EDIT: I meant first 10 provinces--80 encounters

Last edited:

DeletedUser1611

i can no longer battle, nor can I pay to finish a province. I began playing Elvenar because the battling seemed like it would be fun, I would maybe pay in goods 2 battles per province on average. It is my favorite part of the game. However, I was first restricted when they made Orcs part of the payment, difficult as I am only beinging Fairy level. At that point I was still ok fighting to finish a province (it was harder, but I could do it). I was like "ok im slowed down, but its still fun". Now, all the sudden, I cant win any battle because my hits are barely doing anything and when I get hit once I am gone. So, yeah I am basiclly building only and its like I cant do much else. I want to stay and play, but I am having a hard time enjoying Elvenar like I did.

DeletedUser4417

i can no longer battle, nor can I pay to finish a province. I began playing Elvenar because the battling seemed like it would be fun, I would maybe pay in goods 2 battles per province on average. It is my favorite part of the game. However, I was first restricted when they made Orcs part of the payment, difficult as I am only beinging Fairy level. At that point I was still ok fighting to finish a province (it was harder, but I could do it). I was like "ok im slowed down, but its still fun". Now, all the sudden, I cant win any battle because my hits are barely doing anything and when I get hit once I am gone. So, yeah I am basiclly building only and its like I cant do much else. I want to stay and play, but I am having a hard time enjoying Elvenar like I did.
If I might ask? Are you playing as Human or Elves? Also what is your province count? ie are you overbalanced?

DeletedUser4417

If she's at the beginning of fairy (130 provinces min) and has reached the orc limit (222 provinces) I'd say she's pretty far ahead.
Kinda thought that would be the case but wanted to ask, just the same. Goes back to what I was saying before. Sucks but she is going to need to stop with the attacking until her techs and such catch up to where she is, then she will be able to battle easier again.

DeletedUser4566

Look, I'm not an IT programming guro in Germany that can sit down with the Inno game devs and have a conversation :D But I do know that this update was announced on 8/30 - https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/behind-the-scenes-battle-redesign.3758/

and in the release notes on 10/7 - https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/release-notes-version-1-15.4194/#post-26457

Had heavy discussions in the forums for weeks while it was in the Beta environment and the word on the street is that they did it in 3 sections because it was an entire overhaul of the battle system and if they broke it, they only wanted a small section to have to work with rather than the whole update all at one time... again, I have no idea... and I don't own the game or work for the owners so how much information am I REALLY privy too? Not much lol

I go back to feeling like so much of this was caused by players not knowing what was coming. As and Arch Mage, like so many that I have spoken with, made sure to keep our fellowships informed with every new piece of information that came out... I feel bad for all those that were blind sided but you have to keep your head and wits about you and go learn what you can. It's not going to go back, it's only going to go forward.

Having worked in IT, I understand this issue, but they should have weighed the impact of not being able to fight to win a Province. I also understand that with these changes done in stages, this means that it will take about 6 months for them to complete the development, if not longer. The cost of Goods should be decreased in the Negotiating or the percentage of troops reduced in order to allow people to actually win a Battle. Many people will get frustrated and leave the game because they will not see any improvement in their bases and unobtainable goals set before them

DeletedUser1611

If I might ask? Are you playing as Human or Elves? Also what is your province count? ie are you overbalanced?

I am playing Elven, have 229 provinces, and almost half way through Fairy level. not sure if im unbalanced or not, sorry.

DeletedUser4417

I am playing Elven, have 229 provinces, and almost half way through Fairy level. not sure if im unbalanced or not, sorry.

It's ok. Sounds like you are overbalanced by 69 ish provinces? Easy way to check. Go the end of Fairies chapter and look at the chest that is there. Mouse over that and look at the number it gives you. If your front number is higher then you are way ahead in terms of provinces of where you should be and need to research techs for a bit to catch up. Once you do you will find the battles are easier and the scouting is cheaper as those scouting advances reduce the amount of troops the enemy has as well as the cost of scouts and also the amount of goods if you negotiate some.

Edit by Synesthesia: I fixed the quoting issue.

DeletedUser188

The chests are just a guideline to make sure players don't hold back from gaining provinces until they reach the AW research they desire
That's the reason why they added them in the first place
Its the same reason they made the AW research mandatory after they added them to research tree
When you want to know if you are to far ahead in gaining provinces just check your scout time
If your scout time is over 24 hrs (according to beta forum) you have scouted to far and should hold back

Calenmir

Sorry for having to ask but what is AW?

Also, I'm exactly 2 over where I should be (and one of those happened two days ago). My scout time was just under an hour. I still can't win. For reference I'm knocking at the door of Chapter 3.